Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Silence in the Fall

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Silence in the Fall

Post by Mike Jackson »

With the apparent lack of anything else to talk about on the Forum, I'll post a couple of photos from the area.

I took these two photos last Saturday. Fall foliage is just now beginning in most areas.

You can see larger photos of the same images on this page:
http://www.goldenstudios.com/family/tetonvalley.htm

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Jon Harl

Post by Jon Harl »

Have you ever thought of painting these landscapes of Wyoming? The pics make me jealous.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Jon,
Actually, my college degree was in Fine Arts in Painting. I liked doing watercolors best. There was a short period of time when I worked hard enough to get a few pieces in the galleries in Taos, NM, but I never cared for "the game". It more or less soured me on that aspect, especially as I began a full scale sign shop. I could paint a set of truck door for $200 and keep most of it. A nice $500 painting would seldom net $150 by the time the gallery took half and I subtracted the costs of frames, matting, and shipping.

Somehow, I never reignited that flame to want to paint much anymore. But, as you noted, we certainly have the natural inspriation around here. I try to stop and take break and absorb the natural beauty, even when fly fishing or driving around.

I took quite a few sunrise photos a couple of years ago and made a nice page full of them. Click below to see them. Also, for anyone interested, the movie Shane was filmed here in Jackson Hole. The mountains in the background were almost a "character" in the movie.

http://www.goldenstudios.com/family/sunrise.htm

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Beautiful Surroundings

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Just great scenery everywhere you look in Jackson Hole. Almost like Moore, Oklahoma, huh, Mike?

The barn in the photo is on a lot of calendars and paintings. I got to see it up close and personal one time when Mike and Darla gave me a guided tour. Every direction you turn there is another post card.
Jon Harl

Post by Jon Harl »

Mike,
I'd really like to see some Mike Jackson artwork (other than signs, not that I don't think your signs are great). I'm sure you paint some mighty fine watercolors.