Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gilding Domes on Buildings

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Studden

Gilding Domes on Buildings

Post by John Studden »

I am trying to price a Gilded Dome on a new building in California. I would like to hear from anyone who has done this type of job, especially the preparation, materials, primers, surface prep, scaffolding etc. and most importantly thoughts on pricing, by the square ft. or otherwise.

Your thoughts.............................................
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Setup depends upon the size of the dome. Last ones I did were relatively small and I could reach them from a work basket on a sign crane. I have worked on a large dome, many years ago from a boatswain's seat swung from the eye at the top, working around the dome instead of vertically. Although sq ft is common for pricing ie the same as any surface, you have to add for setup, weather delays and other complications of working outdoors like sizing small areas at a time, then waiting, then sizing more. Tempered size is best so that it sets up within a reasonable time but does not stay open too long. Copper is more difficult than aluminum or primed surface of anykind, because the heat dissipates rapidly, giving a wide variability in set time. The worst I have done was a Stupa with 1/4" tall engraving over the entire aluminum surface with a heavy primer. I like to use 23 3/4K so that there is less color change in the copper and silver alloy outside. Consider patent or rolls if they are high and subject to wind although rolls can speed up the process a great deal for any dome. We used to get 6" rolls from Hastings for domes but I have only seen aluminum in rolls that wide recently.
Pete McKearnan

Post by Pete McKearnan »

John are you talking inside the dome or outside?