Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

THREAD CABINET

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bobbie Rochow

THREAD CABINET

Post by Bobbie Rochow »

Here is the finished thread cabinet I had posted questions about. I hesitated to post this because you are all so good at this, & I know some of you have restored these. Please understand, my 93 year old friend had this in his basement & cannot see well. He pulled the drawers out & routered & dug out the bottoms out of the fronts so we could slide new glass into them. He also somehow ran into the window edges on the fronts with I think, his router, so there is some gouging. He did not get all the green paint out of the nicks in it. But you know what? He is a really neat man who means the world to me, & we had a ball doing this! I found a place in california that sold me the pieces of red flash glass I needed, cut for me. It cost some money, but the experience in doing this was priceless. I know, you can see he could not get the glass put in high enough, but that is ok.

If you could only see the look on his face when he gave this to me! It sits in my shop with my patterns & old drawings, tablets, pencils & such in it. I even put his name on the front of it. I have a couple of extra pieces of this flash glass that I am going to use to make something special for my friend Frank.

Sorry, I am trying to posty them bigger for you to see, but photo bucket won't let me.
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I'm glad you got it done, Bobby. Don't be intimidated or shy, as everyone here had to start at the beginning. Thanks for sharing what is obviously a very personal project. As far as apologizing for the workmanship, I think you get that that is the least important factor in this particular case. I think Frank has a lovely friend. :)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Bobbie,
You did a fine job, and thank you for pix of the finished project. Although I've etched replacements for these cabinets, I have never seen the complete cabinet only details of damaged glass to be matched.
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Very Nice work Bobbie. It's nice to look at other peoples work and share each others knowledge in this artform.
Spot on job!
Dave
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

What a lovely piece! Good for you! And Frank!
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Mike Faig

Newbies

Post by Mike Faig »

Bobbie, just wait till I get around to trying some glass work. You'll undoubtedly see how much better you are than you suspect. I've seen you practice striping and now glass. You're living the dream. Keep at it.
Bobbie Rochow

Post by Bobbie Rochow »

Thank you ALL so very much! I sure do hope I have Frank around a lot longer, he has become an adopted Grampa to me & I love him so much! He is now making me a nice box out of cedar to carry my leaf & stuff around in.

Mike, I hope I get to meet you again, I have read so many of your posts since I met you & wished I would have talked to you more at Dixie!