Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Clear coat over copper.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Wayne Osborne

Clear coat over copper.

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Just wondering....What do you use to clear coat copper leaf ( specially put to the guys here in the UK)

I want to use some varigated copper on my shop vehicle but hav'nt got the kit to spray 2 pack.- something brushable- I can pencil varnish around with would be best.

Thanks
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

What I have had the best luck with is the clear acrylics as the solvents do not have sulfur in them. Two component urethanes also work well of course. While acrylics are not as brushable as varnish or enamel, not adding a tarnish agent is worth it.
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Thanks-Something like the oneshot UV acrylic clear??
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

yes
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Thats excellent Kent thanks-
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

hey....I gotta add that the clearstar from Star Coatings is excellent at this. Brushable to boot!!
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

still using chromatic's clear varnish overcoat, truth be told.

Bernie, are you recommending/using ClearShield or ClearJet? and which of those? please be more sp..sp..sp..specific.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

The ClearStar Coatings solvent based acrylic clear jet, not aerosol, is similar in formulation to the Chromatic acrylic. (ClearShield is waterbased) Actually an improvement to our original formula by Steve himself. One improvement is better brushability, still not the same as enamel or resin varnish.
Last edited by Kent Smith on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I have ClearStar that I get from Canadian Signcrafters. It's excellent at that. I just would never start spraying those 2 part automotive clears in my shop. Too darn dangerous (he says while sucking on another cigarette!!#!^)
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

I use GripGuard Clear with the Brush/Roll hardener, not spray, which helps with safety due to not atomizing. However, the fume is still isocianate and protection is needed. Not suited for a shop without safety ventilation or oxygen supplied respiration. The acrylics as good for most purposes although on glass and others that get a washing, I still prefer the silicone modified clear that we made as Clear Overcoat. Maybe someone will begin making that formula again someday. Meanwhile I guard my small leftover supply.