Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lindenwald Farm Step by Step Incised Carving

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

Lindenwald Farm Step by Step Incised Carving

Post by joe cieslowski »

Here is a recent project which features an incised carving:

and here is a step by step slide show on the basic process of carving an incised design. This is the first time I've tried this......(the slide show that is)....let me know what you think.

Thanks

http://s178.photobucket.com/pbwidget.sw ... bdc45f.pbw

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Ok Joe, you said it: "Let me know what you think".

Photos are clear and well presented, as is the order, but.....

The first time I tried to load it, it took over 5 minutes and still hadn't loaded. Second time it loaded better and faster. Whether it was a bad connection or images that are too large, I don't know. I would prefer the slide show presentation with the ability to stop, pause and forward the pictures both manually and automatically. As I saw it, it appeared there were many duplicates, but possibly because there were several photos grouped together with subtle differences between each shot.

Think of a magazine article, where the viewer examines a photo and goes to the next one. Some photos you need to linger over to understand what's going on, appreciate the work, or to look at the previous view to understand what is being done.

Sure like the detail in the tree!

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Thanks Danny, that's what I was wondering. The slide show is a feature of Photobucket and I thought I'd give it a try for teaching purposes.

As far as I can determine, I can't control any of the things that you mentioned. I can only put pics in or out and I can write captions.....that's it.

Maybe this isn't the way to go.

Anyone else???

Joe,
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Joe,
Your image above is 1024 x 768, with much of it being the gray wall. I'd suggest that you learn how to crop your image, cutting the file size down and reducing download time. Similarly, if you do a screen grab of the flash show you made, you can crop down to see the exact dimensions the slideshow will be using. If you resize your originals to that size prior to uploading, the slildeshow will be optimized.

Otherwise, your slideshow had a couple of duplicates but it loaded fast enough on my system.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

.......it came up fine and fast here Joe...but I agree with Danny, .the zoom in and out on each shot was a bit disturbing..I would have liked more time to focus .....but thanks for taking the time
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

For anyone interested, if you click on Joe's automated slideshow, it will take you to a paintbucket page with one image. In the upper right corner, there is a blue button that says "slideshow". If you click that one, you can view all these images and advance them at your leisure with all the controls.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Wow, Thanks for taking the time to figure this one out Mike.....that's teriffic!!

Here's one I did with painting a shadow......what do ya think? (I'm still learning this painting thing)

http://s178.photobucket.com/pbwidget.sw ... 413879.pbw

Joe,
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hi Joe, nice work :!:

I appreciate you're taking the time to put the two segments together as it's good to see how the sign was created. What is the substrate that you are using?
Last edited by Ron Berlier on Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Ron,

It's eastern white pine. (pinus strobus) 5/4" stock.

Joe,
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Enjoyed the "show" very much. The tech stuff of making it work leaves me a bit dazed but the workmanship speaks for itself