Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

HASTING Gold Leaf

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Sal Cabrera

HASTING Gold Leaf

Post by Sal Cabrera »

I have a customer came to my shop last week , he was wondering if I were interesting in buy two box of Hastings Gold leaft
He mention that his father in law was a Signmaker. I just wandering how much they will worth?
Thanks in advance[img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/si ... nggold.jpg[/img][/url]
Every Work of Art has two faces...
One toward his own time and
One toward to the future.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Sal,

My supplier checked in with me last week and he said that patent gold is selling now for about $490 - $500 a pack.

Get the best deal you can.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Sal,
Before you spend your money on the gold, make sure the leaves are not stuck to the paper. You might also double check and make sure there are leaves of gold in a random cross section of the books. Unless you really need them, I probably wouldn't offer more than $100 per pack. Otherwise, they may sit on your shelves for years and tie up your money. You might offer $150 for one of the packs and do fine if you have a need and if the gold is still loose and useable.

Also, one says SIGNBOARD and the other says "FOR SURFACE GILDING". After thinking about it a minute or two, those may be patent gold packs? Others here might know what that means on a Hastings or Swift package. The other term for glass gold is "surface leaf". Again, you should probably have a use for the gold if you are going to make a big purchase.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

In 1990, I was approached by a retiring sign painter who wanted to sell me the same, it was about 3 1/2 packs, though some of the books were opened and used. All the leaf was Hastings and Swift, all loose leaf. I purchased all for either 35 or 50 dollars, can’t recall exactly. I’ve used some it in the last two years for personal projects. The leaf was a little tarnished from age, which added a nice appearance for the antique look I was after. It does not matter is it is glass or surface gold, unless of course it has the paper backing of patent leaf. But, I’m sure you could make use of all the leaf, either way. It was a great purchase for me, for experimenting and making some fun projects. You could use any of the gold on paper, wood, metal and glass.
I would suggest offering 35 or 50 dollars for the entire amount, explain the age and tarnish or cracking of the leaf may not be useful for projects, and you are taking that chance. But not purchasing the leaf would be an opportunity not to pass up, unless the seller wants to get rich off of the deal.
Good luck, and have fun with it.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Sal,
Also keep in mind if it is loose leaf to check out the consistancy of the leaf.I have had quite a bit of old leaf break down so it is no longer usable in one leaf.Works great for decorative work where you wouldn't care if the leave were whole.

Roderick
Sal Cabrera

Post by Sal Cabrera »

Thanks Guys, Yea I was kind of affraid of find some craking or tarnish but they are all good anyway I offer $75 for both box he wanted $200 well at the end he took it.
I just wanted to make sure that I can still use after since there are kind of old.
Appreciated for your response.

Sal Cabrera
Every Work of Art has two faces...
One toward his own time and
One toward to the future.
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

I always like having some of the old stuff around for repairs and for matching older work. Also great for more antique looking new signs. Buying it at 50% or less of new is appropriate as you will find pinholes and other damage from it just being around so long, even in sealed packets.

FYI signboard and surface gold are the same term, just different manufacturers. Swift had a whole set of terms they used for marketing to sign makers as apposed to their other customers. The packets from Hastings would say patent on them if that was the case. The Hastings box is from some of the last batches made under their name and were probably made by Kurz in Germany. The 23K from both companies was closer in color to what we are now getting in 23 3/4K.