Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Interesting antique auction

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Larry White

Interesting antique auction

Post by Larry White »

I got word of this upcoming auction of the George Cross Estate by Showtime Auctions.

Auction announcement

There are a few old reverse glass signs pictured. I wouldn't be too surprized if a couple of them aren't Rick Glawson restorations. It'll be interesting to keep an eye on this one. Those signs will fetch some big bucks!
Last edited by Larry White on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Some very cool Antiques there.
Thanks Larry
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

In the left hand column, click on the "Prices Realized" to see what has been paid for similar items in the past. There are some thick wallets at those auctions.

Larry, thanks for the eye opener.
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Kent Smith

George Cross

Post by Kent Smith »

Michael Bulter told me that George Cross had many pieces which were restored by Rick. He also had one of the most extensive collections of antique advertising around. I met him at Ricks about 15 or so years ago, maybe 20. He had a vast knowledge of signs from all generations and I am sure his collection reflects that. The catalogue might be an interesting reference.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

This one sold for $23,000.

This one sold for $45,000.

This one sold for $35,000.

This train sold for $30,000.

And this one (12" x 9") sold for $1,750.

...all a bit out of my price range! You might want to grab these pictures while ya got the chance, they are being viewed from the auctions website.

-WB
Last edited by Larry White on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Larry,

A very interesting link with lots of signs that I recall seeing. Thanks. Not only are my pockets not deep enough to buy any of those signs, but I don't even know people with pockets that are deep enough. Except maybe Kent, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Ron Berlier on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Ron, pockets are deep and empty.

Nice to know these collectables are still fetching a good price which makes restoration affordable to the collector.