Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Frank Atkinson pages begun

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Frank Atkinson pages begun

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://www.theletterheads.com/lhparts/atkinsonmain.html

I just created an entry page for a new section dedicated to Frank Atkinson. For now, it is just a basic introduction page. Eventually, I will have some addional pages showing more photos of Frank and his work.

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Looks nice Mike.

Can't wait for all the links to be filled in.

Read through the article on Frank. What do you think ever happened to all his drawings and notes, tossed by the family or passed on to be preserved? Know of anyone that own original drawings?

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Danny,
I spent all morning, linking quite a few of the pages now. The core of the Atkinson pages are built. I need to take time and gather the text for the books to complete that section.

I just spoke with Charlie Thames in Jackson, MS. He was the one who sent me all the old photos and literature back in 1989 (see post on Packrat's Lament!). Charlie is now retired and doing fine at the age of 90. He told me he probably already sent me what he might have had available, but said he would look around. He was not familiar with the Internet, but I gave him the web address for www.theletterheads.com and encouraged him to take it to the local library. I hope he does!

I have another name, Dennis Perkins, son of Dallas Perkins in Mississippi. I called his business this morning but he was not in. I am fairly sure Dennis has a lot of Frank's old work, including some of the original plates for the Atkinson's Sign Painting book. Dave and Doc went down and photographed them a long time ago, and many of them were shown in AMAL. From what I remember, they were the Billboard section added in one or two editions of the book. I don't think he has the origianal plates from the first printings. I hope to make contact with Dennis sometime soon.

The photo above shows Frank in his shop at the age of about 84. It is hard to say whether Atkinson himself kept all the old drawings and plates as he moved around.

If you haven't checked the Atkinson pages in a few hours, look again and hit your REFRESH button.

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Very nice.

You must extra time on your hands, or stay up late at nite staring at the computer.

Thanks!
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Raymond Chapman

Thanks

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Mike - thanks for all the hard work you have put in on this. Like everything else you do, it's first class.

Wonder what Atkinson would have thought about us today? And about his influence on so many after all these years?
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Yes Ray....i also wonder what he might have thought.....and I wish he were arround to see it all. Not unlike Stephen Parrish and the pages Goldie has put together so well. I have only seen the repro books and never had my eyes let alone hands on any of the originals...and probably a good idea for the owners of such! ;=)
I noticed in an earlier post about the copywrite issues arround the Algrove Re-Issues of which there are actually a few...E.C.Mathews "How to paint signs and sho-cards" as well as the Strong book. I have met the publisher on several ocasions as he is also the founder of Lee Valley tools...Leonard Lee. He has an interest (comittment might be too strong a word) in all facets of the trades as practiced in the past...gilding...carving...joinery etc etc. In fact here is a little "vignette" from a few years ago and is regarding the matthew's book.
I had just gotten my first computer and had a serious fascination with e-mail and all this entailed. As a regular customer of Lee Valley I was on their mailing list and had just received one of the periodicals and loe and behold there was the afore mentioned book repleat with a soft cover of a a hand and brush. I was curious as to why they would have this in their catalogue and asked why, as a footnote to the letter I also added that old E.C. would roll over in his grave if he saw the cover. It was one of those strange pictures that may more easily described as a "what's wrong" with this picture puzzle. The hand held the brush wrong...the brush and paint were wrong, a real hodge podge...you know what I mean. Anywho next day there was an e-mail from Mr. Lee asking exactly what was wrong amoung other discourses. After a letter or 3 I described these things and heard no more. A few months later the phone at the shop rang and it was one of the guy's who at present worked for the guy I apprenticed under. He said he had something for me (a photo) and that Lee Valley had been in the shop photographing the "old man" painting the letter "S" for a Lee Valley cover. I said they all ready had that picture-slash-book cover and he told me that "some old lady had complained about the cover" Needless to say everyone at both my shop and the Lee Valley has heard the story and all had an equally good laugh. I have a copy of both books, the before and afters, and even got Harry to sign a few copies of the second version for me. Gave one to Glawson amoung a couple of others that were close at the time. As to Harry Koffman....still painting signs and at work everyday at well past his mid-80's. He's an amazing story of our craft in itself and will have to keep till a day I have several hours to tap away here.
Mike Duncan

Post by Mike Duncan »

Mike
Thanks! Nice Work!!
8)
Mike Duncan
Bellingham, WA
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hi Mike,

Nice work! That is very interesting photo collage. Is that a “Youngâ€￾ Frank at the very bottom? Amazing that a photo that old is still around. I'm anxious to see the rest filled in too.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Larry White

Atkinson Plate...

Post by Larry White »

Nice addition to the site Mike! Thanks!
I know many people have reproduced Frank's art in color or on glass. Perhaps you can get other peoples photos and create a page with them. Here's one of my favorites that I did some years ago... actaully, it was the second one I ever made... the photo doesn't show the flaws...
Keep up the great work!