Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Finished Glass Picture

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Finished Glass Picture

Post by Kelly Thorson »

A gift for a friend....
Attachments
014.JPG
014.JPG (143.27 KiB) Viewed 7285 times
033.jpg
033.jpg (129.5 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
001.jpg
001.jpg (186.38 KiB) Viewed 7279 times
Last edited by Kelly Thorson on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Wow! Kelly what a beauty.This is art in glass.... You made a wonderful job of this piece. I very much like the effect it has. It looks like the letters are water gilded? can't tell from this angle.
Thanks for sharing.
Dave
Rick Janzen

Post by Rick Janzen »

I must say you've done a beautiful job. I love the direction your heading, plus it gives you something to do while you hide out from the -40 weather. Hope all is well.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Nice.... very nice!

-WB
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Thanks for posting this, Kelly.
I always like to see someone take and do something a little different with glass. It inspires all of us to try something new.
Superb work.
A brief explanation of the process would be nice.
Dan
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

that is a very nice glass, it is....uh,huh
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Very nice work Kelly and inspirational too :!: :!:
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Gorgeous piece.....time to gild that frame...old style with bole and clay. Now that would be a learning curve!
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Dave, The lettering is copper mirroring with a drop shadow. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Really. :)
Ditto Rick. I've got Stu here working for me, and as cold as it is outside, it's warm indoors. We are having fun, but it would be funner if you were here too. :)
Larry, that means lots coming from you. Tony and Ron too.
Hi Dan, nice to hear from you. :) I painted the images using japan colours (mixes of ultramarine and burnt umber) and allowing the brush strokes to play a heavy role. I then used an exacto, a stylus and needles to remove paint where I wanted colour. The colour is mica and bronze powders (fast size).
Doug, that frame is older than both of us. I thought about gilding it but in real life it has a wonderful patina and I decided it deserved to maintain it's dignity as it was. I do have an identical one that requires repairs that I believe I will gild.

I just returned from a glass workshop in NM. It was an incredible experience and has really got my creative juices flowing. I'm working on a couple of pieces and I think I have managed to figure out how to meld my passion for art and my passion for glass in a way that will be uniquely me.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Wow Kelly, that turned out really nice. The frame is perfect for it as well.
I would be temped to make a silicone mold of the other repairable frame and then produce several more copies in the likelihood of future inspirations.
Nicely executed technique for sure.
Pat
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Thanks Pat,
How about you tell me how to go about making a mold of the frame, or should I just send it to you. :lol:
I have quite a few beautiful old frames......my goal is to fill them up with beautiful old looking glass art.
I need to give you a ring one of these days in regards to the photostencil ideas you were telling me about. I've got an idea brewing here in icy Saskatchewan.
Kelly Thorson

Re: Finished Glass Picture

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I got an email asking if I could reload these pics. Thanks for the heads up. :)
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Nice work kelly!
Really marketable in my opinion.
Keep going with this!
Bob Gamache
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Nice piece Kelly, did you ever get to making that mould?