Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Funny little Canadian guy

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

Funny little Canadian guy

Post by Roderick Treece »

Check out this funny little Canadian guy on you tube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XZvJCtmi-k8

RT
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

sure looks like a complete sign shop set-up! Nice place to play, Doug! :o)

John
"You spelled it wrong!"
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Nice temporary digs and good to hear your voice again.
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

.............it is good to see and hear that shaggy old man again.....on that cold January day in 1908...........he certainly ages well.......hahaaaa
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Son of a Gun!! That was supposed to be just a dumb little thing for Sam Adamov. My wife with a digital camera that takes short film bites and a friend trying out some editing software and too much time on his hands. YIKKES!
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hey Sparky!

For a guy that barely gets on the puter, that looks good! You might consider some acting classes to perfect your
acting skills, other than that, cool. You going to believe you wife next time she pulls out the camera?

Need to get your new shop built - make it look like the old one... it had more character for a character like... well, you know.

BTW - nice work on the walls and the benches.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Speaking of character.... been addin' a little more here in Machine.

Enjoyed that little glimpse into the frozen north.
Hey Doug, ain't good for some folks to work too much.
Why don't you head down this way and I'll gather up
the boys for a little weekend gildin' and what-not.

Oh, and thanks Denver Letterheads...for the funds and all!!

-That Blake fella :D
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

He reminds me of Santas little helpers up in Lapland knocking out out all the prezzies for Christmas.
He also remind me of the grinch-very simalar.

Nice work and workshop Doug.
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Thanx for all the kudos guys. The truth is I set myself up there with the intension of building a shop which Danny alluded to. We have a nice parcel of land near here and all the plans....it just costs a bundle and with all the talk of recession etc I'm a little worried.......in fact alot worried. I'm pretty "exposed" with a move, new $$$ obligations and my shop is on the pricey side. I'll send Danny a photo of completed project I was yakking about in that little clip. It was installed as mentioned and shot a couple of quick photos as I left the site around 7PM for the 5 hr drive home....in the snow. It was a wonderful experience all and all, and I hope the note of sarcasumn is obvious. I just can't figgger how to post photos on this site.

Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Doug needs to get back on to explain his fireplace shot. Nice work there other than just the mantel.

Canada's a great place to visit - when the suns shinning and the ground isn't white. Isn't that why the Snowbirds migrate south in the winter?

Nice work. As usual.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Well Doug, you have a customer there with some mighty fine taste.
That's gorgeous! ...couple of those a year and ya ought to be set!

hmmm...no hands on the clock...must always be time for a Guiness.

-LW
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Q: Why are there no hands on a Quinness clock?
A: Because they are at the bar, holding a Quinness!

Why do they call them hands anyway, look more like arrows to me.

Pat
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Yeo Guys, Well the clock hands are missing as a licenced electrician needs to wire it. The clock mechanism is from National Time and Signal and is a remote control model...the client can change the time (daylight savings time etc without having to climb up there on a ladder), and do it with a remote control. The hands get attached to the mechanism which at the time of the photo wasn't yet installed. I'll be heading up there in the spring and get a picture with everything in order. That'll be the picture I add to the portfolio. Why Danny added the pictures of my fireplace and livingroom window I'm not exactly sure, however thats what keeps me warm in the winter (this one has been LONG) and the other is a picture from just before Christmas. We had early snows this year and as I write this we are expecting about 20" tonight and tomorrow. It sure is pretty but this is what might knock out the hydro and phone lines for a few days. I realise also how tempting it is to think projects like this are "incredibly rewarding" dollars wise but a famous signpainter I know (Shhh...it was Mike Jackson) once said something like "I'd rather do four $5000 dollar jobs than one 20,000 dollar job".... that does ring true and I second that. It's way too easy to miss your mark and watch things tumble straight downhill from there. Large jobs are easy to under-estimate by a week or two. That was actually the whole reason behind the mentioned video clip that started this portion of the topic.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

She's a beauty Doug! and so are you! not sure on the way your standing though......
Dave
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Cheer up Doug, spring is just around the corner. If we didn't have winter to keep away the weak of heart this beautiful country we live in would be overpopulated.
I'm working on a project that will require four clocks probably about 5-6 foot faces. I'll check National Time and Signal and see how they can help me. I was planning on doing the faces myself, but am open to other options. Now if I charge $5000 a face rather than $20,000 for the project it will be better for me? :lol:
I'm hoping to get to check out some of your work in April, maybe catch up with you and buy you coffee....no wait I think the deal was you owed..... :P
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

National Time and Signal are excellent to deal with and very reasonable. Just order in good time. It takes a while. They only provide the mechanism and you do your own faces, although buying their hands would be advisable. Not sure I understand the reference to April and the "deal" but I'm certainly up to buying you a coffee....just warn me in advance. My shop is in an industrial zone outside Ottawa and the closest thing to coffee is shop brewed. Hey....I put varsol in it for flavour.
Kelly Thorson

I remember...

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Well Doug, as the archives say, it went something like this:
Okay...Tims it is, although this way Country Style is still a better cup of coffee. BUT...before I give in completely I'll bring home an Ames piece and show you why I thought so. So...are you a Double Double?
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Dan Sawatzky

Bring it on!

Post by Dan Sawatzky »

Doug

Its good to see your temporary shop, although I clicked on the link hoping to see your permanent one. As I recall we talked about your dreams more than 6 years ago. You may recall the conversation... we were dreaming about our new place too... only we've now been in ours almost five years.

My advise would be to start construction. Recessions are the VERY best time to build in my view. You will have more time and everything will be a little cheaper as everyone is hungry.

We hope to start our new dream house in the next while based on this same principle. Wanna race?? :)

Keep up the good work!

-grampa dan
Isn't it great to love what love what you do and do what you love!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Well Kelly,an elephants memory, my god. Are you a double double? Dan, our conversations from a few years back are on my mind these days as I contemplate all these matters. One issue that is different than yours is we have to build the house and shop at the same time. Zoning......GGRRR!! The lot we own is a beauty and in exactly the right place. 25acres and a cleared section in front. Building the 2 is the worry though. I have been through a couple or 3 recessions and have an idea of what to expect but it does make me worry. It's not the worst thing to sit tight for another year and wait it out. Look forward to hearing more about your plans.....now if anyone knows whats wrong with my illustrator error (probably user error) I'll be a happy guy!