Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Cleo has arrived

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Catharine C. Kennedy

Cleo has arrived

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

This is the result of the 6 day workshop at Aliento Glass in Santa Fe that Kelly Thorson, Susan Banasky and I took from Bill Heug in the beginning of Feb. Took this much time to dry and then to be shipped.
There are all sorts of bells and whistles on this: sand blasting, glue chipping, painting, mica, gilding, patience, highlighting with asphaltum, damar vernish, and attaching a print to glass with varnish. Bill had painted the original of Cleo with his daughter as the model... All VERY cool stuff and all questions answered (so far) This stuff is highly addictive!
Have no idea at the moment where in the house Cleo is going to live- but she's finally here! (btw- the background of the glass is clear- the orange is just a throw to be a backdrop for the photo)
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Larry White

I told you Bill Hueg was a good gilder...

Post by Larry White »

Nice project! .....Very nice project!

Sounds like that was a fun workshop! With great results too! Your piece looks real nice. A nice way to finish off these "clear background" pieces is to frame them up stood off of a fabric backgound. I've actually taken pieces over to the fabric store in order to decide what looked best. Upholstery fabric sometimes is really nice. You can use fancy fabric with simpler designs, and plainer fabrics with more complex designs. Having the glass stood off from the background will allow the glue chipping to show.

There was some continued discussion of adhering pictorials to glass, perhaps you can discribe for us the "Bill Hueg" method.

I'd like to go down there and take that workshop someday. ....someday.
She's a beautiful town, Sante Fe.
...and 6 days worth! ...might not want to leave after all that!

Thanks for posting the picture!

-WB
Kelly Thorson

Safe and sound!

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I'm glad she arrived safely Cat. The workshop was a wonderful experience! 6 very intense days and we pushed hard to get done.
I really enjoyed the different approaches to achieving results and it gave me lots of new tricks and ideas to add to my arsenal.
The company was grand, the Dobbins treated us like dear friends, the facilities were magical and Bill was a fun and patient teacher.
I highly recommend the experience!

I'm really feeling inspired to push what I have learned about reverse glass in the last few years in a more "artistic" direction. Thanks to Bill, Norm and Ruth and staff!
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

The Bill Heug method was spar varnish to both surfaces, smooth out any (all) bubbles and allow to dry face up so the picture curls into the glass...
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Bill is an amazing talent and had seen that painting at Conclave some years back. One of the things I'll always remember is his patience. Anytime (and there have been a few) I've seen him doing a pictorial, or anything else for that matter, at a Letterheads Meet, he gets asked the same question(s) by a hundred ppl in any give hour and always answers with the same patient tone as if they were the first person to ask that question. It's an amazing project and wish I'd been there. I'll have to stay more up to date with things. Had no idea it was going on!!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

This piece is beautiful Catherine ,you made a great job. I have seen it before also at one of Ricks Conclaves. I was deep blasting some text once down at Ricks and I remember Bill watching to see if I was going to keep to a certain depth and not go to deep ,he was very helpful and patient even though I did go further and end up blasting a hole all the way through the glass. Bill is a very talented artist and exceptional teacher to all these arts.
Keep it up Catharine and thanks for posting.
Dave
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Good work Catherine on a great project piece. I remember this artwork too and even better, I remember the model, hanging on for life in the middle of a river raft in Jackson along with Miss Cassi. One of Bill's best creations in both ways.