Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glass Panels for van

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Glass Panels for van

Post by DAVE SMITH »

This small glass panel is for my Morris Traveller van .It is one of two panels for the back doors. I finished it last week.This year is 60 years of the Morris Minor Car in this country .I am trying to finish a 1968 restoration in time for the celebrations on April 19th. There will be over 100 Morris Minors at an event down here in the South West on this date. should be a very nostalgic few days.
I Will take a few pics of the vehicles at the event in April. The glass panel is brilliant cut and acid etched it has a glue chipped border with brilliant cutting and acid stipple. the cutting on the letter G is 12crt gold there are other shades of gold also on the piece. I designed it a few years back -but due to time was never able to start this panel until a few weeks back.
These car restorations take forever! I asked Doug his permission for the slogan in the pallet. so Thanks mate ! or better still thanks to Casey for that one ...........
Dave

Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

About Bloomin Time Smiffy!
-Those are stunning mate!-
I remember seeing the screens and the sketches for that when I was down at yours a couple years ago,( and I could'nt quite visualise it even then)

Can't wait to see the whole car finished with the big side glass in place-!-NICE ONE!
Be sure to post up loads of pics mate.

( Even the dashboard glass is acid etched folks!)
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Yes it is about time I finished this Wayne. I will take some more photos when its finished and post them here.
Thanks matey.
Dave
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Dave,
I agree with Wayne:

Absolutely stunning!

Thanks for posting these. I'm looking forward to seeing the updates.
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Dave, another absolutely super looking piece of "Art" :!: :!:

Is that plate glass or tempered auto glass, or?
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Dan .I will post some pics once its finished. I polished him this morning and steam cleaned the engine,it looks almost new now. Replaced the leaf springs last week to stop him from leaning. drives very nicely now.
Ron the glass is laminated plate glass 8ml thick which is within the required traffic laws so I'm told.
Thanks
Dave
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

WOW! I like that a lot. Everythings perfect, the polished glass is great.
It's all put together so well. Simply awesome.
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

That's just wild!
My eyes don't know where to start or stop on that. Tell me about the word sign. I'm guessing the texture there is done using mica flakes and acid, but I'm trying to decipher the way it's playing with the light. Have you done blends from fine to course on each segment?
In any case another stunning piece. Your creativity amazes me and your ability to execute the vision even more so!
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

Dave... Can you do a set for my truck!? WOW... to have a Dave Smith Original! I think it would be better than a Von Dutch piece!

Keep up the INCREDIBLE work!

Doug.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Well these are very nice comments once again from you talented folk. Its sure is a great site to show and share our work ,much appreciated!
Kelly the letters were acid stippled by hand convexing the mask. I cut one side of where the light was hitting the letters and embossed that with a large mica then pulled out the other side and embossed that with a finer grade over both areas. The brilliant cut part on the letter which was done first was painted with acid resist paint to protect it from the acid. It was little tricky as everything is fairly small to work with ,this panel is 17''x16'' I may need to do the other side to balance the look up on the van (only the border work for the other side).
Thanks again for the interest and comments here.
Dave
Last edited by DAVE SMITH on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

If you need a set Doug give me a shout.
Dave
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Davey,
You are truly a Supreme Vitro-Wizard with a mystical Merlinsque pallet of wonderous ocular treats!!
Simply the best.
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hey Pat thanks mate. I never knew you were into Harry Potter.
I would describe you in the same way. x10
Thanks buddy.......
Dave
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Dave,

What can I possibly add.......amazing......as always.

Now I need to go catch my breath!

Thank You!

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
James Kelly

Post by James Kelly »

Absolutely fantastic, Dave. I hope it dosen't cause too many road accidents!
James Kelly
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Joe and James.
Dave