Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

edge thinner

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

edge thinner

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Anyone heard of whatever happened to "Edge" thinner that chromatic used to produce. A friend called looking for it and I bet him (not too much) I'd have an good answer in no time. Thats what this Bulletin Board is so good for.
Mike Faig

Post by Mike Faig »

I got a can from Aluma Panel not long ago.
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

I just confirmed that 1Shot is no longer making Edge, and hasn't been for a couple of years or so.

Just a little history, Lou Simmons contacted me in 1981 or early 1982 about his idea for a ready mixed reducer/flowenhancer and sent some different samples to try. The one I liked was the one he liked too. In Oct of '82 he sent sample bottles for everyone at Mike's Oklahoma Bash and the popularity of the product spread. After I was working with Steve at Chromatic, we talked to Lou about two things. First was adding his product to our line and the second was to help him improve the chemistry so that Edge would be more compatable with the new formulations coming down the line for enamels. Lou was not interested so we developed Chromaflo which was chemically compatable with the newer lead-free formulae. After a year or two, Lou came to me to see if we would buy him out because he was having difficulty meeting the new Fed regs for flammables and for shipping same. We did purchase the name and added it to Chromatic with a couple of formula tweeks. We marketed Edge for use in bulletin enamels as it was a better formula for outdoor bulletin painters and Chromaflo for use in Lettering enamel.

Because the chemistry of alkyd enamels has changed a lot since 1Shot bought out Chromatic and DanaColor, their reducer line has changed as well. I suggest trying the newer formulations of reducers and see if they don't give you the workability you are looking to achieve. There is a descrption on their website of the reducers and how to use them. At any rate, do not use turpentine, mineral spirits, linseed oil, kerosene, or other olde tyme thinners in the current formula enamels as they are no longer compatable.