Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Flat gilding on paper

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

margaret norman

Flat gilding on paper

Post by margaret norman »

I know I could Google for this information but thought I would get it from the horses mouth.

What traditionally prepared size do you favour when it comes to flat gilding on paper.

I want to learn this skill, and like the idea of mixing my own size.

Funnily enough I know how to gild leather and wood, being a bookbinder for 25 years, but I never did get around to learning how to lay leaf onto paper. :oops: Time to learn.

Thank you

Richard Norman
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

OK....let's hear it from all you hosses.
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Although many have used "fish glue", hyde glue and rabbit skin gule not to mention some of the waterborne sizes, I prefer pure mucilage. The better quality is genuine acacia gum. Package consistancy usually works well in a brush and slightly thinned with distilled water works well in a pen. Rag content of the paper or parcement will determine how thin it can be. Ready to gild immediately.

Ray, that would be nearly out to pasture hoss.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Sounds like a couple of old horses have already answered. I'd also suggest following it up with the Google search for info on the topic. There are a few calligraphers here on this site, but I am sure you'll find numerous other sites just jam packed with calligraphers who do this type of work regularly.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Years ago I attended this Letterhead gathering in Moore, Oklahoma and there was a guy there doing gold leaf on parchment. He would brush the lettering on in Elmer's glue, let it dry, and then take a regular soda straw and blow gently on the glue. His breath was just moist enough to make the glue sticky and then he would guild over the area.

I'm not sure about the longevity of the glue, but it worked and looked great.

I'm setting here with the guy's face in my mind but I can't think of his name. He was from Californian, near Long Beach.
Huntington Beach, I think.

My mind is like a steel trap...nothing gets out.
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

I remember him too, the same way. Having a mind like a steel trap implies that the prey sneaks in and steals the bait (as well as some of the contents).

That reminds me to mention that the mucilage can be rewet the same way for gilding upon.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Raymond,
I think that might have either been Lande Weissman or Bill Davidson. Bill was sharpening turkey feathers and using them as ink quills. I think Lande was doing regular calligraphy on parchment. I was pretty busy with the meeting and didn't get to watch everyone.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Yes it was Lande Weissman. I remember talking to him about it now. He had also been experimenting with fish glue which is where I heard about it first. Also Gary and I absconded with one of Bill's quills to do the marble on the Hotel Faye sign. Funny what small independent things we remember.
margaret norman

Thank you

Thank you for the replies.

I shall Google for more information, but what you have said here is very useful, I will try gum arabic.

Richard

P.S. With regards Mike Jacksons comment. If there are just a few calligraphers on this site, who make up the bulk of members?
Raymond Chapman

Yes Mike, it was Lande Weissman. You young whipper-snappers have all the answers.

I ran into Lande several years ago when I was doing a workshop in Long Beach. He looked older than I remember.

This has nothing to do with Margaret's thread, but I agree with Kent - it is amazing how you remember so many little details from a gathering like that. Over the years I have heard numerous stories of how that one Letterhead meet changed the course of their professional lives. Gary Anderson was one. You could put me on that list, too.

I remember flying back from Boise in June with Jackson and you could see the wheels turning in his head as he planned his meeting in Moore. And it happend just a few months later in October. Boise and Moore are still the "stand-out" Letterhead gatherings for me. Thanks again, Mike.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

there are many ways to gild paper
the one used here, was rolco aquasize, water based gold size on arches 140lb cold press
to finish the watercolour painting behind the memorial 5 conclave piece
of course, this image is copyright protected
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
margaret norman

Thank you all

Thank you all for your input, I have enough to go on now, thank you.

And thank you Tony for letting us see your lovely artwork.

Richard
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Margaret,

I know the gilding masters already explained some how to's, but I just came across these 3 video's on youtube and they look pretty excellent :D .
Hope this gets you even further...

http://www.youtube.com/user/FLYGUY8441023
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu