Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

July 1st: 2008 half over

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

July 1st: 2008 half over

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi All,
Wow, you look and half of 2008 is already over. The sun has moved as far north on the horizon as it will get and the days will get shorter until December.

Gas prices are going up, dragging materials prices and shipping costs with it. Some of the shops in the midwest are under water and some are shrouded in smoke in the west. About all I hear on CNN is doom and gloom for the economy.

So, how are YOU doing through all this?

We've actually had a busy first half of 2008. I've had several nice sign projects and have been working on a few photo projects. Despite high fuel costs, tourists still seem to be coming to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park. Maybe the high prices of air fares and add-on air fees is making a car or van trip seem like a better deal, despite the gas prices. Four bags at $15 pays for quite a bit of gas. I am sure there is some market adjustment going on here in Teton County, the real estate market hasn't taken a nose dive. Land is still at a premium, especially when you realize 90% of the county is owned by some sort of national agency (park, refuge, wilderness, conservation district, etc). I am not sure how the second half of the year will go, however. Lastly, the day before our 22nd anniversary, I placed an order for a Toyota Prius. It came in a week later and Darla and I have been taking turns driving it, depending on who is going the farthest distance that day. We are averaging around 55 mpg through the summer (so far). Despite the actual cost of the car, it is taking some of the sting off at the gas pump.

If you want to give a quick report on your area and situation, feel free to do so in this thread.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Larry White

Time flies...it's already past twelve...

Post by Larry White »

Hi Mike & all-

I had a real strong 2nd half of 2007 and a strong 1st half of 2008, although last month it seemed to ease back a bit. Right now, I don't have any work and I'm enjoying it. Finishing up some glass pieces, cleaning up a bit, and doing some much needed facility maintenance (like cleaning the bathroom). When it gets slow, a little fear sets in, just come to figure that as natural and I just ride it out. I'd have to agree with you about the non-stop bombardment of doom and gloom coming over the wire. Gets a bit old after awhile. There's a lot of talk about the continueing downturn spiral of housing values coupled with the increasing foreclosures out here (San Francisco bay area, California). Gas down the street was $4.75 a gallon for regular, diesel at $4.95. I used to fill my diesel compressor for $65, now it's $200. My masking materials went up 15%, along with increased shipping charges. The local glass supplier raised the cost of their glass 12%. .....etc. Even with all this, there's still lines at the movie theaters, full restaurants, and busy retailers, and I still have some change for some some sushi. Lots of talk about the economic squeeze, but not as much evidence. I remain grateful for what I have and the blessings of having some time to do what I enjoy. ...guess I'll go build something.

AHO!
-Bill Blake's Gild 'n' Build
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Hey, I want a Prius too! ...My 13 year old Saturn is paid for however, and at least it's not a truck or SUV. I really feel sorry for people who have to drive those. (Like always) I ride my road bike to run errands, as much as possible. I predict that gas will (easily) double in price by next summer. And, in expectation of heating fuel prices next winter, I recently filled my furnace tank w. oil. Soon I will be buying cords of firewood too. I hope I don't have to buy gold anytime soon... even so, it too will probably keep going up in price (and never come back down).
...Sign business here is piddling along. I have one bread and butter client who keeps me busy and is my saviour. Average clients are watching their pennys, and my gold work has slowed down. ...I'd think that photography would be a good side line... diversification is quite necessary in the 'creative' field these days.
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Well, since you asked....

Down here in Texas we are sweating out the Summer (literally) with a general slow down over the past month. The phone is not ringing very regularly, but we have several projects that are keeping us busy. Somehow we have escaped the real estate collapse and building is still progressing, although at a slower rate than a few years ago. The unemployment rate for this area is low, but we are suffering from the gas price increases just like everyone else.

A few months ago I bought a Chevy HHR Panel and that helps with the gas crunch (30 MPG). The mileage on the HHR is about twice what I was getting on my Chevy Trailblazer.

The landlord raised the rent on my shop a few months ago, but I still have one of the least expensive commercial buildings in this area, so I can't complain.

Usually I try to see everything through positive eyes but I'll admit that my personal economic situation is a little muddy right now. But, then, that's not anything new.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next six months or so. Even with all the complaints, we still live in the best country in the world....in my opinion.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Two things to count on: Mike Jackson telling us the days will be getting longer, followed by warmer weather and summer. That's always good news, but but now he tells us of shorter days and halfway through the year? Inevitable, but does he have to remind us? Now I remember about the work that needs to get done around the house with the end of the year approaching, shorter days and cooler weather.

News: forget the news. I hold the same esteem for news journalists and lawyers in the same vein. When's the last time you watched the news and felt good? Read the paper and let the reader edit the news he/she feels worthy.

How am I doing? Jan / Feb was a little slow, since then I've been busy with several large jobs which will come to an end next week. At the end of any job, especially larger ones I think what next, nothing on the books, then the phone rings, or the larger jobs that ended start on another phase of the project. Or, as happened yesterday during a final walk through with the building owner, a general contractor joined us, saw the work we'd completed, and am now off to another site for more of the same. For the immediate future I'm still pluggin along.

Gas here in No CA is $ 4.50. Cost more to fill up, have goods shipped and more for everything. Easy solution is to keep up with prices, and pass the increases onto the jobs just as our suppliers are doing. The biggest help is the ability to look back over 30 years of business: we've been there before, we've done the best we can and we're still here. It beats working for a large company not knowing if you'll have a job next week, or to find the pension fund you've contributed is depleted.

Last but not least, I work from home, always have except for another business long ago. That alone helps keeps overhead expenses low and work profitable.

Doing fine here, and I hope you're doing the same.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

iWell, you asked...

Ive been very fortunate after stickin to my focus of all work hand lettered only, though i have slipped in a few quick slap jobs over the years just to get em outta the way.
That plus the continued after 'respect' from hosting the first ever walldog meet west of the Rockies, have left me very busy with good commissions ( I do not call them jobs anymore, that sounds like work, and that four letter word... well that just sticks in my craw!). Also, over the last four years, I've immersed myself into a dozen different watercolour classes, building a collection of works big enough for an open studio tour last year, and one again this coming October.

The first half of this year, I rendered an 8' x 100' mural, on sight, which is the best form of advertisement around, completed six 5' x 7' canvas murals for the local brew pub, created black lettering with calligraphy brush to render over the fireplace mantel inside the ballroom of the four star hotel in the area, and secured another 14' x 50' mural just a couple days ago, to add to the walldog collection downtown.
I'm continuing to work on personal watercolour and gilding projects, driven to add these to my works of fine arts. Four other local artists and myself formed a small art salon three months ago. We meet to plan our projects, goals, marketing and various upcoming shows to participate in. I did enter my first two shows this year, accepted at both and took a first place in the main local show of '08.

I have noticed the decline of some work, mainly those I've previously been sent as a sub for another sign company. Fortunately, that has not affected me. When I look at what I have completed in the last year and a half, fewer sign projects have come through my doors, as most are turning to quicky-slappy, but I never wanted them anyway.

Overall, I've been blessed and grateful of everything I have been able to accomplish so far, and I know a lot of that would not have been possible if not for the Letterheads, Walldogs, Gilders and other vagrants I have been fortunate to meet, tap for advice, pal around with, sub work to, relax on mental health days with and just plain aggravate over these crazy artistic years.

Oh, about that gasoline issue... I refuse to spend anymore than necessary to line the pockets of traitors and crooks running this country, continued dependancy on other nations for our fuel when we have the brains and foresight right here, if we use them, to find better ways ( they are available) to drive our engines, etc. That's why I bicycle every where I can, and mow my lawn with a push reel lawn mower... just like the good ol' days, no blowers are power edgers, sweep, rake and clip by hand...excellent exercise.

Aho.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

well......around here. The gas prices are$1.33 a litre now (the conversion you'll need to do) which is more expensive however after returning from the UK a few weeks ago I noticed that they were 1.33 or higher in pounds sterling. That would make them a little over twice the price. That can be a bit deceiving as everything, including income is higher there. Their cars are much more efficient and spaces much smaller. Over here we gave up mass transit to Henry Ford and GM in favour of the individual car....we are seeing the price for this now....but don't get me started on that whole mess. I think we can safely say high oil prices are here to stay. Peak oil is a buzz-word I hear more and more and we need to expect to change the way we live and do business. If (or when) it cost say $500 to fill your gas tank, how will that effect life?

Work......was steady all winter this year. That's unusual. Right now a definate slowdown although I do have a very small backlog, it's not as in other years. Have seen more small (carved gold leaf) projects than the big extravaganza's I'm used to but that is way positive. Not only easier on the nerves but is improving the bottom line. I also have seen this before although I do worry that it might get alot worse before improving. However it's part of my personality to worry too much and I'll continue with my "plan" as per schedule.

Tonight was talking with a builder friend and he says materials are way down in price and new home starts are slow. The up side, older/pre-owned home sales are still quite hot.
Dan Sawatzky

It's summer here!

Post by Dan Sawatzky »

Summer is traditionally our slowest season for us as our customer's are mostly in the tourist business and busy making money this time of year.
We have one good sized project held up on account of permit issues. But that will get sorted out eventually. Another project of monumental size is scheduled to start in the spring so I'm not worried. I'll be back to being a one-man shop shortly with the ability to hire on skilled temps as we need them.

Locally the gas prices have hit $1.50 a litre... and a small car is (as a second vehicle) is in our plans for the near future.
I'm not ready for the shorter days Mike speaks of... its just now getting to be REAL summer!

Wishing everyone here a great summer!

-grampa dan
Isn't it great to love what love what you do and do what you love!
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Raymond Chapman wrote:Even with all the complaints, we still live in the best country in the world....in my opinion.
Eeeeuhm?.... Where have you been? But this site is not about politics or FOXpropagandanews. I know Nederland is not the best :wink: .
Thanks to not signing the treaty a few years back, we lost some valuable years in alternative energy-research and a lot of wasted bilions of gas due to extra huge fourwheelsdrives etc.
Unfortunatly here in Nederland (and the rest of Europe) we are the 'playball' of Rusia and their supply of gas (not gasoline but real gas). Our normal octane gasoline now is 1,67 euro.
THIS IS 2.62 U.S. DOLLAR FOR ONE LITER!!!!!!
I know nobody in the world can beat that! :cry:
Business is mega strong here, Dutch economy in general is good, my business is very good.
A lot of new clients due to the website. A lot of wasted time making offers by email, but still a lot of extra work is derived from it.
Now it is summer less phonecalls, but still to many too experiment and work for fun.
Last edited by erik winkler on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

The economy in Saskatchewan is strong. Newfoundland is also doing well. I guess eventually everyone has their moment in the sun. :D
It's been too busy here, but I recently learned that my biggest client has changed their system standard to digitally printed Dibond, not a place I want to go.
Financially they were responsible for about 50% of my income, if you include spin offs. There is a sense of relief when the scales are tipped for you. :) I could probably pick up a lot of work with a little effort, but I'm looking at this as fates way of helping me with some big decisions I was facing. I've still got enough to keep me busy till fall working at a reduced pace and then if things allow I'm going to take the time to work with etching, sandcarving and shading for a while. I have some really unique projects waiting to be brought to life. We'll see what life brings after that. I'm tired of paddling, let the current take me where it will. :)

I've been helping my daughter get her photography business set up - she has a great eye and a flair for the artistic and so I think she'll do well. My husband Jim and son Chris have branched off from the family farm, there will be a new shop in the making over the next year. I may or may not move into it as well. Our son is getting married next weekend and we have a family houseboat trip planned the weekend after that. I'm looking really forward to a few days with my sketch pad and camera and NO WORK!!!!

Gas prices are rediculous. Here in the prairies you don't have any option but to drive as there is no alternate source of transportation.

I thought I lived in the best country. :)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Kelly Thorson wrote:Gas prices are rediculous. Here in the prairies you don't have any option but to drive as there is no alternate source of transportation.

I thought I lived in the best country. :)
Canada must be doing something good, because a lot of Dutch people move to Canada as economic refugies and settle there foregood. We pay way too much income tax, about 40% - 70% depends on how much you earn. Tax on everything you buy is 19% etc etc.
Indeed in times of high fuel prices a huge country and a lot of kilometers in the prairies can be difficult. I think we all have got to invest in some horses again as transportation :wink:

But the alternation of your 50% client who now orders the (probably 40% cheaper) direct print on dibond is a sign of the time and the impact will be huge on our trade. These prices will definitly ensure that the prices of 'print on vinyl on dibond with laminate' will have to drop also. So i have to buy a flatbed printer for 100.000 plus dollars or get a good reseller..... Or work more on the Letterheads crafts...

My conclusion: Horses and Letterheads hahaha :lol:

p.s. Just received a letter from a big supplier that all our dibon HPL etc is up 6% to 18%!
Last edited by erik winkler on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

We have had a reasonable year so far though Jan and Feb was a little slow we have caught up mostly now. All of our expenses are up becuase of the price of oil and threfore changes the competitive situation. The mortgage situation has effected our volume as well as our future project. As you all may know, I don't normally get into the competitive bidding but we also must be sensitive to the market situation to have enough regular signwork to keep the doors open. Interestingly, I have had a lot of non-sign gilding projects in a row, which we normally get periodically, just not in bunches. Strange with the general economy in the shape it is in. Election years are not typically good ones for higher end projects, so I am glad for the ones we have.

One year blends into another so half a year does not seem to make a difference.