Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

adding texture to anything domed.............

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

vance galliher

adding texture to anything domed.............

Post by vance galliher »

this project I'm doing about the latex paint also has a Triangle Solutions ( I love this stuff) metallic iron/rust/sealed bkgd with gilded domed 16" aluminum letters. Of course, after doming the letters, the client now wants to add texture to the domed surface before gilding To bad this wasn't mentioned before doming....I'm sure as the epoxy is curing, a texture could be done as in a damar embose.
so how to texture hard epoxy ? files, rasps ,course sandpaper, ........
This is not added grif for me.............I'm always about doing what I've not done before, just the way I like to work,.......... and this simply opens up a new experience..thanks for any input
James Warwick

adding testure to anything domed.............

Post by James Warwick »

Try sandblasting (on a scrap piece as a test). You could cover with a piece of expanded metal or screen wire to place a design on your letters. Maybe a cut out sheet metal sparkle stencil placed on the top edge of the letter to give it some highlighted sparkle also. Place on sunward side when erected !! Good Luck....
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Hi Vance,
My favourite material for adding texture is Magic Smooth. I'm not sure how it would work on a domed letter but Steve claims it sticks to everything except silicone and so far with me it has lived up to that. Because it doesn't self level you can get some really interesting effects. The other thing that is used a lot is gorilla glue, although I'm not as keen on that as it seems a hit and miss thing. I've seen some really nice and some really ugly effects with it. The Smooth is nice in that what you see is what you get. I use a popsicle stick to swirl it, an old toothbrush to brush it or a woodgraining tool to create faux woodgrain. In my mind, if you have time to wait for the materials it would be a whole lot easier than trying to work a nice texture into already set domed letters. Other than that you could probably use the same materials you used for doming and hit them with a texture at the opportune time ( after they have set enough to not level out and before they have set up. Crumpling a plastic bag and pressing it to the surface would make a nice leathery texture that might work with that method.
Please do a sample first if you decide to try this on your project....I'm not entirely sure how these methods will work on a previously domed letter.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Sounds like fun. I would definatly do some test peices to get the desired effects. Sounds like you'll either be adding to the dome or taking away some of the domed epoxy. You could try mixing up some epoxy and adding something to it and spreading it on. Maybe add some sand or smalts. The world is full of things you could add for texture.