Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Laminating Wood Panels

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

There was nothing behind the fence Joe. What might have affected it was that it has three rods running vertically through it. Possibly they pulled the wood in an unusual way.
I don't think it negates in any way what you have been saying, it's just going against the grain so to speak. :) The key phrase in your old text is "tend to warp opposite the annual grains."
An old friend once told me that each piece of wood has it's own "personality" - beware of the Rebels. ;) I don't know a great deal about wood, I was just curious as to if and how the damage could have be prevented and how best to repair it.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Kelly, The how not to is WAAYYY easier than the what to do now.. I like your idea of epoxy and the appropriate filler. The 406 is what I use for things like that although a "that" hasn't occurred in many years. I'm not sure the rods are the culprit as I've seen quite a number of signs with those in dandy condition....I go with the idea that the boards should have been altered (grain wise) and they are just too wide to begin with. The least I'd make do with is the riff cut which you (or rather whoever) could have gotten from those same planks easy peasy.