Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Afternoon from torquay...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Matthew Porosa

Afternoon from torquay...

Post by Matthew Porosa »

Hi guys,

So it finally let me sign up! ive been coming on here for a while now but i havent ever been successful in logging in.

Anyway, just thought i'd say hi, me and Jake ansell have just started a sign company this year and we have always come on here alot checking out the stuff everyone is doing, Its given us some cool ideas.

Unfortunatley for us were good friends with Mr Smith so we get lumbered with him alot of the time! he makes a good bacon butty though.

We came over and said hi to Erik and his father the other day, they looked like they we having a good time, beatiful pieces Erik.

Im gonna try and post some pics so you can see what were up to, but if i cant work it out, check out our website and let me know what you think! It took me long enough!

Matt.
"Thats upside down mate"
http://www.ansellandporosa.co.uk
Matthew Porosa

Post by Matthew Porosa »

Ive sussed it out now.

One of the oldest pubs around...

A traditional barbers...

Some work in canada....

A log!

Our front doors....

Our website is www.ansellandporosa.co.uk

hope you like!
"Thats upside down mate"
erik winkler

Torquay Boys!

Post by erik winkler »

Hello Guys nice stuff you made!

When you visited Dave, I was a bit preoccupied. As I did not want to forget any details of the workshop I was a bit overconcentrated and not very up and jumping as usual.
I love those big more, bglass pieces, sometimes less is ut in architectual surraoundings I think big is beatifull.
What kind of work did you do on the bottom of the big "Draught and Bottles" glass piece?

My absolute personal favourite is the "Haircut" sign.
What kind of gilding size did you do?
It is so brilliant and shinny, is it Koller size?

Erik
Getting grumpier every day, because daily routines and work prefend me of designing and making my own glass pieces. :(
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Welcone to the Forum....always great to see a "new face" with the same interests sign-wise. Now....are you the young fella Smitty told me was in Toronto for a while? At Russ Kelly's shop? I see the word Firkin and that is the first thing that can to mind.
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Welcome Guys- some very very nice eye candy there - Love the BIG glass !
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Beautiful work Matthew.
Can you please post a close up of the finished No. 7 sign on the Haircut store? Is there by any chance a closer picture of the glass after it was screened and before it was gilded?
Is the price list gilded on a separate glass?
The "Scruffy Boy" terminology gave me a good grin!
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

These boys are both scruffy but very talented.(lol) I just wish they would buy there own compresser.
About time you were on here showing your work. Hey nice scrolls on the Hairdressing sign..........

Dave
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Very nice work, gentlemen!

I looked at your website the other day but it's nice that you posted these pics as we can look a little closer and see some of the works in-progress.

I like the picture of several large windows in your shop that appear to be finished and ready for delivery. One of the things I noticed in that picture is that the glue-chipping at the bottom not only has the quintessential vertical clear separations - a fairly common technique that we all use - but a nice cross-hatch or "plaid" sub-element within the chipped areas as well. Very nice detail. I'm not sure I've seen this before but maybe it's more common that I realize.

Anyway, thank you for sharing this with us.

Yeah, I agree with Mr. Smith's advice . . . your own compressor would be a worthwhile investment. (Of course this is merely conjecture but I suspect you wouldn't have an excuse to visit Dave quite as often, huh?)

Dan
Matthew Porosa

Post by Matthew Porosa »

Thanks for the welcome chaps, dave said you were a friendly bunch really!

Erik, we could tell you were both in deep concentration!!
the pattern at the bottom is just blast & chip, the size is a secret mix! if i told you i'd have to gild you!

Doug, yes thats actually Jake, he went to work for russell and stayed for a year, i went to bermuda signmaking and then we both met up in toronto and worked with them for a while before coming back here to start our business, we learnt alot from those guys.

Thanks wayne!

Kelly, i'll have a look for a pic when i get 2 minutes, the price list is actually on perspex as glass would be too heavy in the false ceiling!
I'll post a pic of the layout below as we wanted a tongue on cheek victorian list.

Dave.........can i borrow your compressor? ha ha. when the hydrovane turns up we'll only be coming to see you for food and cups of tea :lol:

Dan- this was actually some glass we did at kelly sign in toronto, if you had seen the old wooden staircase we had to carry them down you would have laughed! :shock:
"Thats upside down mate"
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Where's the thanks for teaching these scruffy boy's? and they give all the credit to Kelly signs,I don'nt know .No more lending compressors or eating my donuts for you muppets ,your rent goes up from today............
Dave
Matthew Porosa

Post by Matthew Porosa »

Soz mate! should of mentioned you broke my gilding virginity!

I'll be posting pics from daves course soon..... :lol:
"Thats upside down mate"
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Welcome and thanks for showing off your work!Those glass panels are really impressive.With all this high quality glass work being done over there you should know that there is a rumor going round.
With the US economy being as bad as it is there is a group of FREE GILDERS headed your way to set up shop,grazing right in your area.Some of em even use a Smith Tip!

Roderick
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

You read my mind Roderick! Very impressive work there guys, those big panels are BIG.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

You can't tell them about that bit it's rude Matt......ah,ah Matt and Jack are the guy's who layed 140 gold leaves in under an hour with the Smith Tip. Man there fast!
Dave
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Nice to have great talent in the neighborhood.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

A 140,
Well just wait till those free guilders show up in town.They'll bring down the prices with there illegal guilding and I heard tell there's one that can lay a 1000 leafs an hour straight out of the book.

The Kid
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

......not that the old work around here isn't great, ...........but it's nice to see you, your work , and your space. thanks for taking the time!
Matthew Porosa

Post by Matthew Porosa »

thanks we thought we'd say hi as we come on here alot anyways, and were always up daves studio stealing as much info as we can!, its nice to have him just up the road, hes helped us out alot.

The big pieces and all the other amazing bits we did in toronto were designed by Rob at kelly sign, between dave and him we've been taught as much as it takes to get us to a good standard.

Im gonna have to get myself a rifle incase i see any of them "gilding poachers" around....
"Thats upside down mate"
jake ansell

Post by jake ansell »

Dave!!!

you got two things wrong son, it was 156 leaves in an hour using the "AMAZING SMITHS TIP" and also my name is Jake not Jack!!
You`ve only known me for about 18 years!

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to all of you on this site, i`m the Ansell part in Ansell and Porosa.........pleased to meet you!!

I also wanted to give credit to the people that have helped us on our way, Dave Smith, your a legend and i love you, Russell Kelly and Robert McCullem of Kelly sign Co in Toronto, thanks for everything guys, we`ll see you soon for some Canadians and Guinness........
............Lush!..................
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thats funny! From now on it will be Jack. And I love you both also. This forum will be wondering whats going on in Torquay.
Welcome to the site boy's.
Thanks
Dave
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Torquay? I'm beginning to wonder 'bout that town.
Crazy Englishmen gildin and rubbin bacon butty?
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Brian the Brush UK

Post by Brian the Brush UK »

:lol:
Hi Guys,
Welcome, a great bunch of people on here with fabulous talents, enjoy, from a Yorkshireman in a cold, wet and windy summer in Yorkshire !!

Brian.
www.brianthebrushuk.com
With a stroke more imagination.