Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gilded Bathroom Mirror

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Gilded Bathroom Mirror

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I've been promising my wife for ages that I would make her a mirror for our new en-suite bathroom .My middle child Lauren who is 10 years old is very artistic and always shows a big interest in what I'm upto with glass work. Here are some pictures of Lauren helping me clean the puntie cuts ready for gilding. The mirror is 7 ft high by 8ft wide and is cut at an angle due to the shape of the ceiling. very awkward for handling when brilliant cutting. sorry pics are not that sharp.
Still Need a Bernhardt photo lesson.
Dave
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Ha! There is no doubt who her Daddy is! Both in her interests and her reflection. She looks more like you all the time.
I have a ten year old protege that has been helping me out here lately. I paid him his hours and let him off as school starts next week. He asked if I would mind if he came back on weekends to volunteer, "You don't have to pay me, it's just that I kinda like what you are doing here. It's interesting." He has been helping me clean shop and paint my floor, but the little gaffer is full of curiousity. He really likes the glass work and wants to do his own initial. I'm going to have to make time for that. I know he has the patience and perseverence as he spent over three hours woodburning a sign for the local store owner when he was 8. He used a magnifying glass. :)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Yes she is starting to help me alott Kelly . Sounds like you also have the right volunteer there. good for him and for you sharing your skills. Kids just absorb all this stuff.
Dave
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

My goodness Dave, what big round punties you have, and very sharp too as well as nicely polished. Excellent work.
I'm curious though. How did you get those cute little "mouse faces" in those punties? I never see those in mine. :D
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

You have a way with words Pat. It's nice to see you noticed my polished punties! I finished the mirror today and put it up. Please Excuse the number of photo's ,they show the etching seperatly on the whole mirror as the room is a bit small, the mirror make's the room look a lot bigger now. At least my wife is pleased I finished it. Big Mice over here!
Dave
Polished punties in gold

Last edited by DAVE SMITH on Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

The design is very fitting for a bathroom. Nice Job there Dave.
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Jeepers...I want one of those!!!!
I love the flow and rhythm of the scrolls Dave.
I bet your wife is really pleased!
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Good god...........this is "go big or go home?" and there it is......."Davey's Disco Bog" On another note I never realized how much the (poor)kids look like you till Kelly mentioned it. I was thinking that Lauren looks like Hannah a few years back.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Of course I have no idea how you made that but it made my day better!!!!

Thank You for posting those shots.......btw.....great kids.....I can tell they have a great Mum en Dad.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Glad to make your day better Joe.Thanks! Kids take after there mother Doug wait till I tell Mel. The Disco bog is still there,this mirror is upstairs...
And Kelly my wife is very pleased but she thought it would be more suited inside a hairdressers salon.
Thanks
Dave
erik winkler

Swirls & Dandy

Post by erik winkler »

This is the modern stuff that I like.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Nice work, Smitty....
thanks a big heap for showin off gifts for the wife... puttin us on the spot again, are ya?

Not going to show this to Danine, no way.
I think I have enough duties and projects.

nice mirror, very nice mirror.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Dave,
Just a quick note. If you mask the front of the mirror and give it a weak acid wash, that specific area of the mirror will not fog up with the shower steam.
You could add a thoughtful hidden message like "I Love You!" or a witty bloke one like "WARNING, objects in this mirror may appear larger!" that would only appear in condensation.
Pat
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Patrick Mackle wrote:Dave,
Just a quick note. If you mask the front of the mirror and give it a weak acid wash, that specific area of the mirror will not fog up with the shower steam.
You could add a thoughtful hidden message like "I Love You!" or a witty bloke one like "WARNING, objects in this mirror may appear larger!" that would only appear in condensation.
Pat
Haha I like that. But Patrick, what is the definition of an acid wash? Is it a deluted mixture of an etching solution?
Last edited by erik winkler on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Pat I tried that on a mirror a few years back and it worked very well.(clever technique) I used Bruno Sweigs formula at the time.
Never thought of using it on this piece. Could have had some fun with that..........
Dave
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Erik,
Yes, it is just enough weak acid to remove the factory surface on the glass.
This technique was used to create novelty mirrors or "breath mirrors" as they were called because a quick moist breath on them would produce a momentary design or phrase.
Pat
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Good grief Dave, didn't you check with the client first?

"my wife is very pleased but she thought it would be more suited inside a hairdressers salon". Ouch!

And in the master bath no less? Or is it the the Masters bath?

Nice work!

I'll have to try Pat's suggestion with the weak acid, that would be interesting.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

The wife is always right Danny! Mind you she does like it better today,it's starting to blend better with what she has put in the rest of the bathroom. No this is not the master bathroom,the bathroom in these pics is what we have just had built as part of an extension to our property. I am the master but with 4 women living here I sometimes wonder.
Thanks matey
Dave
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Right.

You think you're the master..... they know better.

Your're out numbered mate!

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Tony Segale

ain't no woman's town, never has been...

Post by Tony Segale »

let them keep thinking they're in charge..
and you'll always be the master, mate.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

FANTASTIC!- Thats a real treat Dave.. My Missus is still waiting for her B&Q Mirror . Hahahahha

Has the disco Bog been added to the official Torquay Tourist route yet? :lol:
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Not yet Wayne. Maybe one day.
Thanks
Dave
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Ohhhhhhh Sooooooo Nice!!

Great Work Dave!

So what is your next project? A Mirrored Ceiling, Perhaps?!

RMN
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Now that would be good Robare.
Thanks
Dave