Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Exterior glue for wood panels?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

Exterior glue for wood panels?

Post by joe cieslowski »

Since the topic of using wood for sign panels was so popular I thought a post about glueing the wood would rap it up.

I use titebond II. For some reason, I've found that Titebond III will leave a depression at the glue line....even after days of drying.
In any case I have not had a failure with the Titebond II. FWIW, I only use pine.

What do you use?

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...well, I just found out 'the hard way' that that epoxy doesn't work. I had some glued and screwed on mdo cleats fail, and a sign came down. The screws had been the only thing holding on. In fact, this very morning I reinstalled it. How about GE silicone #1 ? That's what I used to 'fix 'em' with...
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I've been using the Titebond 3 as well as 2, epoxy and the poly-urethanes (gorilla etc.). Like them all for different reasons. The problem with epoxies are they are too tough if used with the fillers and as they recommend. Am willing to bet Billy didn't pre-drill his holes? If not the wood will burst out the back of the surface and not allow the 2 surfaces to touch by so so so little....just enuf to to not let the adhesive work.