Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

New metal gilded sign

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Scarlett Rickard

New metal gilded sign

Post by Scarlett Rickard »

Having just gone freelance, I wrote this sign to put up on my mum's house on the banks of the Llangollen Canal. I am hoping someone might ring me up and ask me to paint their boat, but you can never tell! It's on galvanized steel, which I was a little concerned about, having never painted on galvanized metal. It was treated with acid, primed with red oxide, two coats of undercoat and two coats of enamel before writing, and then two coats of clear, so it should be OK! It is written mainly in gold leaf, with enamel.

It is surprisingly bright! In moonlight you can read every word of the gold.

Bobbie Rochow

Post by Bobbie Rochow »

What a nice sign Scarlett! And what a beautiful place to put it too!

I love your name, & also the way you talk! :)
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Your going to get some lovely work from those Canal Boats Scarlett .Great sign and great location. Do you have a pic looking down the Canal? We have Canals around the Tiverton area here that still have the horses pulling the boats (tourists of course)
Dave
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Beautiful, Scarlett!! ah, to be on the Canals... a wonderful way to travel, either on a boat, or walking/riding on the towpath!! Happy times lettering the boats!

John
"You spelled it wrong!"