Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Rick Glawson's Chip Booth

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Rick Glawson's Chip Booth

Post by Mike Jackson »

I posted this diagram Rick Glawson made a some point in the past, but I don't see it now.

Well, it's back on line.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mike Faig

the search continues

Post by Mike Faig »

Thank you Mike for posting that. It may come in handy. However, it is not what I was searching for. I've seen somewhere, a photo of a homemade blasting booth made from wood. It was a free standing unit with a compressor and pressure pot underneath the blasting chamber. I thought I had seen it here. If someone here could lead me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

I've been lurking in the shadows, reading and researching. I have much of the materials needed to chip some glass and would like to do my blasting indoors. It is not possible for me to go out and buy one of those nice booths so a homemade version made from drops I have lying around is what I can do.

I believe the photo I saw was recently posted or linked but I am having trouble finding it. Could one of you fellas help me out?
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I looked back at some of the images in the site folder and I don't see any diagrams I posted. Maybe someone else posted one, but I don't recall seeing it.

You might do a Google search and find a set of plans somewhere on the Internet. If you do find one, please come back and post the link!

Best regards,
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Mike, if your piece is small enough, and you have a machine shop nearby, you may not need to build a blast cabinet. You may be able to blast your project in one of the cabinet contraptions that they use for cleaning parts. These boxes have an interior light, viewing window and built in heavy gloves.
Mike Faig

Just found it!

Post by Mike Faig »

While reviewing the instructions on the PDF, scrolling to the bottom, Shazam.

http://69.94.65.35/howto/gluchip.pdf

Thanks for the advise. I'm chippin' now.
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Billy Bob - I think Mike is talking about a glue chip cabinet rather than a sandblasting booth.
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Ray, Mike used the term "blasting". So I thought that was what he ment.
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

You are right. I wasn't paying close enough attention. My apology.
Last edited by Raymond Chapman on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Yep, the other person asked me about a diagram they thought I posted showing how to build a sandblast booth. The only similar diagram I could find was the one Glawson drew of his chip booth. I posted that just to show what I had in my archives.

Personally, I'd try to find someone with one of the commercial booths and then try to copy the basic design to suit my needs and space.
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons