Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

old canvas advertising curtain

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

old canvas advertising curtain

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I thought some of you might enjoy seeing this. There are a few of these gems gracing old halls around Saskatchewan. This one is pre 1923, although I couldn't find out the exact date it was done. I have close up pictures of the individual panels if there is something anyone wants a closer look at.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

It is good to see these types of signs Kelly .I guess it was all hand painted by one signwriter? In this town at one time you could tell from the style of the signwriting who had written the sign,everyone seemed to have there own look same for the showcard/ticket writers.
Thanks
Dave
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I think it was likely all done by one fellow, although he attempted to spice it up by putting different letterstyles and varying the slant on them. We were at an anniversary party, and what I though was extremely funny was my 23 yr old son and my husband studying the curtain and commenting on the little nuances used to camouflage negative space. I guess it's rubbing off. :)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

That kind of thing is Gold, Kelly! thanks for posting.

John
"You spelled it wrong!"