Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Comments/Critiques on Glass Design

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Comments/Critiques on Glass Design

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I would appreciate any useful comments and critiques on this design for a LE Commemorative glass piece. This is the initial draft for a work to celebrate our Province's Centennial. The mottled brown areas are supposed to be chipped glass, but somehow in the translation to a jpg my computer decided to change them to cork :roll:
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

!

Post by Mike Jackson »

Kelly, This is a very nice design. You asked for useful comments...I would adjust a few letters in the main lettering.

First, I'd add some space between the SK and take out a lot of space or even overlap the KA. There is too little space between the WA and too much between the AN.

The right serif on the K seems a bit too bulky to me. I'd adjust the outline just a bit. The width of the thicker stroke of the C is too thin, at least for my tastes. I know this is a standard Wolverine font, but I often tweak them as necessary. Lastly, I'd round or tweak the black outline on the top left area of the 1. It jumps off the page when I look at the design.

I wouldn't want to sound overly critical. These are minor adjustments, and I believe you will see them clearly once you know to look for them.

Out of curiosity, what is the significance of 100? What happened in 1905 that is being commumerated in 2005? Nice work! Nice colors!

Take care,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Thanks Mike!
I knew I needed to clip the contour on the 1.
Isn't it funny how now that you mention the kerning on the Saskatchewan it just screams at me. I often find that I need someone to look at my stuff with a fresh eye to see things that would jump out at me if someone else did them.
Saskatchewan is a relatively young place..... it became a province in 2005, so it is it's 100th birthday.
Maybe you can help me with a couple more issues. What is a reasonable # for a Limited Edition Series in glass - is there a general consensus?
Is it better to do one design of say 50 or two designs of 25 if you have the market for them?
Thanks again,
Kelly
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Kelly, looks good.

Will you be adding any color to the banner, or does it remain white? As it is, the banner seems too dominant. A texture or slight tint would tone it down some.

What is the size of the finished piece, and how will the shield be executed? Some may cringe, but I would consider a high quality print of the shield, leaving a clear window and mounting it from the back. If you produce 50 panels, how long would it take to paint one? Then multiply by 50. You may have already considered this, but if not now is the time.

Saskatchewan must be ahead of it's time. It became a Province in 2005? One key to the left! :wink:

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Perhaps you could reduce the sizes of the banner, 100 and the wheat. Overall it is real nice, but looks "bottom heavy".
Jon Harl

Post by Jon Harl »

I would try to integrate the wheat into the 100/banner, creating a whole "thought". Perhaps the wheat could come from bhind the 100. I think you'd solve the negative space problem to the right and left of 100. I agree with Mike's comments about the headline. For the sake of repeating form how about using Wolverine for 1905-2005, it might possibly unify the composition.