Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

New Letterhead Fonts Design

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

New Letterhead Fonts Design

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Chuck Davies of Letterhead Fonts asked me to design a new front page for his website. After many hours of sketching and changing my designs I finished the artwork a few days ago. Just thought I would show you how it came out.
The first image will be a poster printed at 350 dpi and maybe some t shirts for customers and the other images are parts of the final webpage. Every part of the design was made using a wacom tablet and the various brushes within Photoshop. I think it will be up and running in the next couple of weeks. Now just need to talk someone into painting it on a wall as a mural somewhere.
Anyway hope you like it.
Thanks
Dave
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

VERY nice Dave! Thanks for the close ups, love to see the detail.
Dennis Raap

Post by Dennis Raap »

Wow that is beautiful! I can't believe the detail.
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Blimey! :shock: -Make a nice bit of embossed glass :twisted:
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

On occasion, I hear "They Don't make them like they used to."

In this case, no one could find any better, any way, any time!

Thanks for sharing the Beauty!

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Cor Blimey Gov! :shock:

Just when the bar couldn't get any higher.

Truly and Totally Fantastic Dave, Totally!

You're Right up there with the Chance Brothers.

RMN
oatis

Post by oatis »

Mr. Smith;

In this rare and transcendent presentation, at each twist and upon every exquisite turn, the eye finds greatest delight, and the heart, satisfaction.

All elements combine in a marriage of utmost harmony and just proportion: Florid curves are relieved with rich, open fields in a composition at once delicate, but balanced and sustantial in its weight. Letters dance in obvious celebration, and in their masterful rendering reveal the confident soul of the journeyman at play. Pistils, Stamens, Wrists and Necklines--in these pictorial strokes the consumate skill of the draughtsman is at every hand apparent. And speak not of Colour! Never did ethereal Pinks give way with such grace to Luscious Maroons and Purples, nor have Warm Ivory and Deep Olive been better paired.

To quote Longfellow, "In the Elder Days of Art, Builders wrought with Greatest Care,
Each Minute and Hidden Part---Beacuse the Gods see Everywhere."

In other words, Dave, this is a total !#$%& MASTERPIECE, you !#$%&* animal! Give me break, dude! Off the Radar!

In am priviledged to see such a piece, and to know such an artist.

Your Pal,

Mark
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Wow ... do I know you? :wink:

It's beautiful, your use of colour amazes me. Exquisite choices! Thanks for sharing Dave. :D
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

...speechless
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Well I 'm also speechless. When you get comments like this it makes you want to do more of this type of work. It's a great place to show your work and it shows how passionate everyone is about what they do here.

Mark, I was wondering where you were going with that one! You have a way with words there! You made me laugh at the end ,thankyou very much for your commment. How is life with you ? The last time we spoke was at Ricks, or it could have been Noel's Boise meet?. I tried to get your home address a while back ,could you send it to me?. my email is chapman_and_smith@btinternet.com .
again many thanks guy's
Dave
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Wayne you mentioned about making it in glass, I think John Studden is thinking about doing this one.
I don't think I could face it.........
Dave
Beej Curtis

Post by Beej Curtis »

WOW! Dave that is simply outstanding, your work is the finest I have seen and to me, is such a true inspiration. It's fantastic to see so much 'new' interest in the old ways bud . .

Beej
Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist, once he grows up - Pablo Picasso
Beej Curtis

Post by Beej Curtis »

BTW Dave . . if you meant it about painting this, I would really, really love to be the guy who gives it a go?

I am currently planning a masterclass for next year hosted by the Airbrush Centre again and Steve Vandemon & Craig Fraser are coming over and to have this painted as a large display piece for that and to show folks the beauty of British Sign Art along with Airbrushing in there - I would be honoured bud.

You can get me on beej@organicimage.com look forward to hearing from you . . :)

Beej
Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist, once he grows up - Pablo Picasso
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I can not believe your patience and stamina.
It somehow looks more coherent than the last sketch I saw, can not yet figure out what you did to accomplish this...
looks great! Like the 'real' flower elements.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks guy's.
Dave
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Amazing...simply amazing. I wish I could write the words down that would express my awe over this piece, and everything else that Dave does. Mark Oatis probably said it best....although I have no idea what all those words mean.

You are simply in a class by yourself, Mr. Smith. No one else even comes close. It's an honor to call you a friend.

If a print/poster is made I certainly would like to have a copy.
Bryce Hutchinson

Post by Bryce Hutchinson »

Dave, when I met you at Rick's years ago, thought your work was great then, BUT you have jumped to a whole new level. Thanks for sharing your Art.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

This is real nice of everyone to appreciate this design. With Mark's comment and all you guy's makes it all the more proud to be part of what we call the Letterheads.
Ray. Chuck Davis has asked me to have prints made here and shipped over so I guess that's where they will be sold from.
Thanks Ray , Bryce. and all here.
Dave
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Ditto and what Mark said...
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Master Smith.

Beautiful, colorful, detailed, passionate piece of art.

I wouldn't want to ride with a man who wasn't passionate about his work.

Thanks for showing us all, and look forward to the next one.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Well Dave,
I can think of nothing better to say than what has been said best already.
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Tony and Pat.
Hey should you not be painting that beautiful mural Tony?
Get your self back on that wall it's looking great. I'm hoping you may want to paint this one somewhere?
Thanks
Dave
Karen Souza

Post by Karen Souza »

OMG! What's not to like... truely a stunning piece of art - loved the close ups! How much time do you have into this project, or did you just "get into it" and... well... just lose yourself in it?
Really, really, stunning Dave!
Karen Souza
Karen Souza
Cranberry Signcraft
Mattapoisett, MA 02739
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I'd seen this work in progress and I'll say it again. The finest.....and I laughed out loud when you replied you didn't think you could face taking it on in glass.
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

....i second that emotion doug ! just amazing work dave. perhaps when you take on the glass project, you might do a step by step.......i know that is asking alot, but it would be great !
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Again just like to thank you for your comments Vance ,Doug,and Karen much appreciated. Karen the design was made in between my work here.My first sketches must have been started about 6 months ago when Chuck asked me to design his front page.I would say that I was well into over 130 hours of sketching and Photoshop work.I kept coming back to it and forgetting what my plans were in my head.
I would like to have the time to build my own front page and then get someone to make the site.Does anyone know any good site developers? I have in mind some old fashioned moving stills as part of the first page . I can make the pages.
Thanks
Dave
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Dave,
From what I have seen, Chuck Davis is a very good site designer. Ask him first!

Beautiful layout and execution....

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Never thought of that one
Thanks Mike.
Dave
Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

Sure would be a treat to see some of the sketches you made for this. Any chnce of that happening if they still exist?
Karen Souza

Post by Karen Souza »

I'm not surprised at the time you spent. Sometimes we're lucky enough to be inspired and get into it, but then to have the vision to make it come to life is really a gift. Amazing!!! I also would love to see the sketches.
Dan Antonelli would be another chioce for your website. I'm very pleased with the job he did on mine.
Karen Souza
Karen Souza
Cranberry Signcraft
Mattapoisett, MA 02739