Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

quick rubbing varnish

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kim Ross

quick rubbing varnish

Post by Kim Ross »

Not sure if this is of any interest to anyone, but I noticed that it is pretty hard to find quick rubbing varnish these days. So I did a little research into this stuff...turned on my crusty computer and googled "Handling traditional oil varnishes" an article by the New York Times. Paragraphs 8-10 deal with long and short oil varnishes (spelled "spar" and "rubbing varnishes"). After getting an understanding of the make-up of varnishes, I googled "Restoration varnish" and clicked on "Behlen varnishes, shellac, salid bowl finish, watco danish oil" (the one with the merit industries address). Scroll down to "Rockhard table top varnish". I think this is the genuine article.
Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

Well, the the quick rubbing varnish is still available along with other Commonwealth products. Spoke to the people that made them for Rick Glawson and said I could buy them so long as I bought the minimum $2,000 for a batch, wholesale.
Kim Ross

Post by Kim Ross »

I appreciate your response. That's good to know that this product line can still be accessed...however, $2000.00 is a pretty tough nut to crack these days. I guess the real value at this site, is that there is no minimum. You can buy a pint of quick rubbing varnish for $11.50.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Well go on then!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

There are quite a few suppliers listed on this page:
http://www.theletterheads.com/supplies/index.htm

If you called around, you can probably still find some old supply of many products.

A quart of about any of those old varnishes could last most people a lifetime.

Sounds like you have a source already.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Rick Sacks

Post by Rick Sacks »