Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Grand Tetons on Christmas Day

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Grand Tetons on Christmas Day

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi all,
After opening presents, I headed North to get a few photos of the Tetons with the new snow. This is about the best view I could get of the mountains! :) This photo was taken at the road into the airport.

On the way home, I stopped an took a couple of shots of Sleeping Indian mountain over the National Elk Refuge.

As I drove through town, I took a few photos of our town square. These were taken at 10:45 am. The day earlier, you couldn't find a spot to park anywhere close.

Lastly, we had roughly 18" of snow in our driveway on Monday and another 12" or more today, with smaller amounts in between. There was close to 12" of fresh snow in the street, so I had to put the pickup in 4 wheel drive to pull Corey like a water skier. The high snow banks made a great jump into the soft powder in the front yard.

Happy Holidays to all!

Mike Jackson
www.tetonartimages.com
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...I think I see a moose in the first photo. Mike, you have a RAD family!
Happy New Year and thanks to you and everybody else who makes this site so rad!
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Great photos Mike. Looks like everyone else stayed home around the fire.

Kind of looks like Christmas here in Texas.....except for the snow.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Raymond,
Besides the snowfall difference, when there IS snow in Texas, the kids have to go to the highway overpass to find a hill to ride their sleds.

We definitely got hammered with snow since last Monday. The weather reports show another band or two of them lined up to hit us again. I took our snowblower in to the shop about 10 days ago for a tune-up. I went by to pick it up but it needs some parts which won't be in until next week. We've had to hand shovel the snow this year so far. The light, fresh snow is no problem, but the big banks of snow that gets pushed into our driveway by the city snowplow operators is heavy and dense.

But, overall, we like it!

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Oh yea, I forgot about the hills.

See, that's that advantage of living in Texas. You can stand on a coffee can and see all the way to Oklahoma. You never have those pesky mountains and trees getting in the way.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Round here we seemed to have dodged all the big snowfalls happening everywhere around us. Christmas day was a warm (above freezing) day and tomorrow supposed to be even warmer. I don't envy you're shovelling although I have an old (in good shape) snowblower. I have about 80 or so ft. of uphill laneway at home and shovelled it the first year here. All of the small engine clinics have been swamped as everyone seems to have had last years record snowfalls still fresh in mind and am guessing you'd might as well wait to bring in the lawnmower at the same time.
Raymond Chapman

No snow here, Doug. Right now it's 82 F.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Here's something like our place was this Christmas.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

It was more clear and bright today so I took this sequence shot. This one is a "straight air" trick. Corey did a few 540's today, too.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

This photo is sooo cool!
How is it possible that the background is not overlighted or Corey underlighted?
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Erik,
I darkened the sky and the lower snow in Photoshop by doing an adjustment layer (Curves) in Multiply Mode at about 50% opacity. I used a large, blurred brush and painted in the white on the black mask at the top and bottom. The brush was probably set to about 25% opacity. The shot was taken on a tripod set in one position. I pressed the shutter button while in continuous shooting mode and it captured 14 or 15 frames before I filled the buffer. I synced all the photos in Lightroom to get them all at the same exposure, then exported them to a layered document in Photoshop. Using a layer mask on each layer, I revealed just the new skier.

At the Olympics last summer, they were doing the same thing with video captures, mainly of the divers. Interestingly, they were able to bring the sequence shots up on the screen in only a couple of minutes. Mine would have been a snap if I left out every other shot, eliminating the more delicate overlapping issues.

M. Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I thought it must be something like this, I think there is an automate plug in with photoshop for this effect. Will look it up...
You could also try to let Corey do the same jump and make the opening time one second with a little opening (low diafragma) and make a flash at the end. I like that effect too, it makes him going trough the air like speedy gonzales.
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Erik,
This would be really easy if I didn't overlap the figures. I could slow my shooting frame rate, or simply not use every other shot in the sequence.

Thanks,
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

By the way Mike,

This christmas i asked for almost all the signcraft magazines.
The last few days and nights i am reading all the years, now i am at nov 1989.
It is funny to read about the rise of the computer added signs in retrospect.
Did you know that in these years we only had the Gerber systems in europe?
And finally I understand some of the posts here on the forum better, because now I know what you refer to.
For instance your reply on the fact that I make designs for my potential customers, without a downpayment etc.
Still in our circumstances it is a well over-thought policie with certain clients... they are regulars, no price-fighter-seekers and all i send is in pdf password protected AND we have an unlimited lawyer insurance....
But like you mentioned in the article: sewing is not a real nice thing that you want to prevent whenever as possible.
Still a few years to go and read. Hope to find some how to's about gilding, blasting, routing, painting....
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Tyler made a video of Corey doing the jump and put it on YouTube. Here's the address:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmTeeviKPpY

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

S I C K !!!
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Beautiful there, and your son appears to be quite the athlete.
Raymond Chapman

Great job by Tyler, too. Very nice presentation.

I can here the neighbors now...."That Jackson family is at it again!".

Congratulations to all. Tyler and Corey are both very talented young men. Wonder where they got it? They have some very special parents.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Raymond,
We live on a street that loops around, so Tyler can drag him around Crabtree Lane and back to the house. Corey said a lot of people were out taking a picture of him coming through the neighborhood. We only let them do it between around 3:00 and 4:30 PM before the people started driving back home into the neighborhood. I was more concerned about Tyler having a wreck or getting a ticket than Corey jumping. That's a mole hill compared to what he jumps at the ski mountain. I think the neighbors are more or less used to see them doing this kind of stuff, whether it is on skis, skateboards, or bikes.

Have a great 2009.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons