Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Ornate English Gypsy Glass Panels - step by step

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Ornate English Gypsy Glass Panels - step by step

Post by DAVE SMITH »

First of all Happy New Year! Hope everyone here on the forum had a good day. I ended up going for a 15 mile bike ride in the morning with a cycling group which I had joined back in the summer, it was freezing but good to get back on the bike,I got back and then watched The Great Escape in the afternoon on the tele followed by to much chocolate in the evening- the joy's of New Years Day.............. Anyway this post is about the horse panels I showed back along in one of Kelly's posts. I Finally finished up the last mirror for a gypsy caravan in London. this is not exactly a step by step but a look of how I made the panels. I don't want to bore you with too many photo's so I may skip a few area's here but you will get the idea.
Hand sketched very roughly and the penned over with black ink. The bird illustration was changed as the client prefered horses.
workings out for some of the 6 tones of acid etching. The illustration was hand vectored ready for cutting by plotter.
there are a total of 4 panels x2 at 27inches by 22inches x1 at 4ft x 3ft and a smaller panel at 20inches by 17inches.
This is why I vectored the design to speed things up and avoid all the hand cutting plus the computer can cut alott smaller detail and much quicker than me.
I made a drawing showing me where to start my brilliant cutting ,once the cutting was finished and polished I matched up the areas for acid etching the first white tone

This shows the resist covering the glass cutting and exposing the areas for white acid. a combination of hand cutting and computer was used as it was impossible for
exact positioning of the resist plus it is tradition here to give the brilliant cutting a white acid etched line around the cuts.
The tone was toped off for 8 minutes ready for the first acid tone. A top off is when the acid is cut back before any work is done. If I silver straight onto the first tone of pure white it would look like dirty sandblasting and not have the correct shade for a silvered panel .A top off effect would not be needed for glass which goes into pub windows which lets light through.
topping off

now the second tone is made using a mix of 3-1 for 12 min

I use a light box here and add hand brushed details with acid resist paints

areas recovered and parts removed for acid mica texture.

now I have jumped forward with this shot.The panel is covered with clear vinyl
any areas I choose to etch now would need to be hand cut. On the border you see mica again with a fine small stipple to it.
2 shades
3 shades

Hand drawn horses and black penned for light exposure for burning to screen
printed 3 times with ashaltum resist paint.The centre section circle was acid toned for a further 15 minutes to cut back the white tone even further before the print was made.
a simalar technique to orbital sanding with 3 microns powder prior to acid etching factory buildings.

to be continued.........
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Dave,

I don't know what to say anymore. Amazing. Thanks for allways making the time to share, I hear that's what letterheads is all about. I
learn a lot by looking at everyones work here. You seem to go over the top on things, love it! Them gypsies are lucky!

I had a very good Christmas and new year with my family. I went cycling too, I do the indoor motocross on my dirt bikes, no back flips,
do the jumps and everything else though. It keeps me in good shape physically and mentally.

Hoping everyone has a very good 2009,
Jerry
Patrick Mackle

Geezzz!

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Another post from Dave, hits you like a ton of bricks right in the eye!
Dave, you are makin' my acid finger itch. All those tones, mica stipple, brilliant cutting, and masterful art. Add to that your time spent to post and share the steps and proper terminology.
Please keep on sharing, it is VERY much admired and appreciated.
Pat
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

It's no problem Pat . It's impossible to do this on every job and I thought it would be a good one to share with all you craftsman and craftswomen!
They better be happy Jerry! I aint doing them again.

phase 2

acid etched for 30 minutes 2 acid to 3 water strong mix but enough to get instant depth to the work.
first layers of gold water gilded. scratched areas and shaded using different tools

23 crt gold water gided with the back scraped over using a stanley blade which knocks off the highest points of gold leaving the etched gold areas aloan and makes the clear lines.

more shades of gold added to give highlights in some areas and to make it look old
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Just keep the photos coming Smitty. Love the horses especially
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Bravo Dave- can't wait for the next thrilling installment ! :D
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Wayne and Doug. onto Phase 3 then.

You can see the detail in the horses on the paper template. I have taken this detail out which allows me to add my own areas for scratching and adding my own cross lines .This was done
using Photoshop and hand drawings.
scratching areas with different tools
some cross hatching but not complete.

painting over the scratched detail with a mirror resistant paint, needs two coats.
now protected I can get on with other gilded areas
I Would not want to be standing in front of these 3! these horses are wild. I reckon they're doing about 50 miles an hour!
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

CRIKEY!!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

MOSES!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Gilding the cut glass with 23 crt gold
backing up the gold using a chrome yellow colour which is a silver resistant paint
There are 3 shades of gold on the glass now,the backing up is all hand done.
Aaron Taylor

Post by Aaron Taylor »

Beautiful etching. Thanks for posting the pictures can't wait to see the rest of the progression!
Aaron
Brix Design
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Fun watching... Hey, there's 3 shades of paint on your hands too! Ha ha. It appears you are human after all. Just kiddin with ya, Thanks for sharing the processes.
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Good grief, Dave....what have you gone and done now? I'm locking the door and going home. No need for me to do any more signs. Maybe Wal-Mart could use a new greeter.

You've left the planet, Mr. Smith. But it really looks nice (what an understatement).

What a fantastic piece of art! You're setting the bar way beyond reach....but keep posting those beautiful photos.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Hmm...greeter....ya...me too.

If I ever get the money, I'd like to go over there. England. And I'd make some glass panels just like those. And I'd put some brilliant cutting in each one.

You know, Dave, I've always wanted to go over your way. I know we said we should do that someday and everything, but...your art is always in my heart. Dave. Always...

I never stopped lovin' your work Dave.

Well, I'm sorry, Dave, for, uh, for intrudin'.

So, you keep on as you are...the rest of us will just stand behind ya, Boss.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Your not intrudin Larry. I don't no about being a boss but thanks anyway mate. I did the boss thing a while back and hated it. Thanks for the comments by all of you ,glad you like the panels. Your all welcome here anytime . It's a long way though and it is cold at the moment so summer time would be best.
Dave
Panel now painted with the excess gold removed.
I thought about placing gold into the scrolled areas but decided to keep that part just silver deposition.

Next part.... silvering these panels.............
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Oh, gosh darn, Englishman. You mean to tell me he's even got the gypsies involved in this now?
Crikey. Tell you one thing. If, uh, that there Smith fella keeps on producin' these ornate brilliant cut,
etched and gilded designs, I might end up likin' the bloke.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Bill Masters

Post by Bill Masters »

Dave what type of back up paint is that yellow.
Beautiful work thanks for taking time to show us.
Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

This is like when I was a kid running home to watch the next episode of a good TV show coming home to see the progress on this panel.
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I really appreciate the time and effort put into the documentation of these step by steps. It's what brings me back to this forum time after time.
Thank you, especially to Dave (a master of all time), Larry (isn't it time for another one, Mr Mentor?), and Tony (great job, I'm looking forward to the rest of it!)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Kelly you said it.That is what brings me here also. I can't do a step by step on every job but if I can share some of these pieces that I get the time to make then this is the site I will be sharing it on and James Kelly's site also. When Larry or Tony have a step by step it really pulls you in like Leo has mentioned. would love to see other peoples work as a step by step even if it is the basics of gilding or whatever as it is still interesting and useful for the new people looking in. were always learning! Bill the paint I use is from Sericol it's a two pack.
Glad you all like the panels sorry it's not a bit more indepth.
Thanks.
Larry White

It's what I do....

Post by Larry White »

It is, ain't it...

Well, Kelly, Appaloosa comes out on DVD on the 13th :D . I been waitin'. Figured on replicating the drug store out of the movie right here in Machine. Nice drug store....real nice drug store. Guess I could do a step-by-step on that! Best post it over on the Original Dead Man post though, so as not to get anyone's dander up! Course if I were to do a step-by-step, I'd have to clean up a few of these glass jobs I got......hmmm, that could be arranged. Far as I recall, there were a couple glass signs out in front of that drug store. That just might re-ignite my enthusiasm...been a little drained lately... I remember the coldest darn winters, body all freezin' up, fingers, couldn't even use 'em....funny, I just think about Roderick...well, that's me, that's me...warm sand...blooming bougenvillas... some fish tacos....... and Mr. Dickinson....

-Aho!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Well get on and get it done Mr Blake. This one is about to end so we need another.

silvering

4 coats of silver, I need it to last over 100 years
When held up to the light the silver coat is completely dense.
Normally 2 coats is enough but I want these to keep on going until I've gone.
Temporary set up for silvering due to building work here.
part of the same job but for other Carvans
some of the cuts on this panel are almost touching through the glass.
I have some nice diamond wheels which cut deep very quick.The cutting is not really needed this deep
but gives a great look from the front.
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Truely a great performance so far . But ,Awww' c'mon Mr Smith, Your teasin' uz now....we wanna to see the finished masterpieces
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Finished panels backed up and ready for collection.
I acid etched my name and date into these panels.
Who knows where they will be 100 years from now hopefully not some skip!
4ftx3ftpanel

That's it! Thanks for looking in and following this project.
Hope you enjoyed it and found it interesting.
Thanks again for all your comments
Dave uk
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

3 of the suckers!- Know I know your Crazy!
Good work Dr Smith, Thanks for sharing the whole process - breath-taking entertainment to the last

.- is that what the lemon gold was for?
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Dave, that is .... I don't know ..... way beyond description. Whilke soaking it in I just realized if a person was blind he could actually read your art. :)
I love the use of the Horse Heads. :)

'K Larry - your on! :)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Kelly. Yes Wayne I was ment to say that, thanks for sending that down ,I was desperate for that small piece of gold. all the goldshops were closed.
Dave
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

What everybody else said.....times THREE!!!!! wow
What the hay......if you're gonna do one, why not three? :wink:

I have two small glass pices, one made for me by John Jordan, what treasures!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Easy, Smith, easy.
The first a thing step-by-step needs is to take things easy.
That nice project went by so fast, we'll be hungry again, like eatin chinese food.
Maybe, Mr Morton can teach you a few more things, about takin things easy.

Now, listen outta your good ear now, Blake. Keep these step by steps comin, but don't rush them.
Heard an idea that sounded pretty good... a drug store, built around Machine.
Paints a pretty picture.

I might start stretchin my legs soon, and maybe get back to...
no hurry, the important thing is, there's a forum waitin.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

Careful Dave, that they don't lock you up in the "Tower"... you're a bloody national treasure!
BRILLIANT! Thank you for your fine effort.