Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

In The Shop

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

In The Shop

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

For a while now have been messing about with a mahogany fireplace mantle and since this posting pictures is SO easy and fun I thought I'd drop a couple of shots here.
This is my buddy Barry who is in the middle of gluing on the large bead moulding

Which I'm starting to carve a dart and egg pattern into

Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

I sure enjoyed meeting you this spring Doug. You have a nicely equipped shop and your work is tremendous. I'm glad you're posting some pics. Keep 'em coming. How's your doggie doing. I love shop dawgs.
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

Oh, yeah! This is great stuff to see!!! :o
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Good Deal!!!!!

I'm looking foward to seeing more of your action shots. Are you using mallet and gouge to put in the stop cuts?

The strong sidelight really adds clarity to the second shot. I've seen way too many pics of dimensional stuff with flat light (or should I say not seen?)

Thanks for posting.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

very nice... a step by step from that other guy.

look forward to more, old timer.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Nice intricate work there Doug. Very nice mate
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi again, Yup....use a mallet that is "shop made" for anything heavy. Yes Duncan it was also good to meet you this spring past. As for my pup she died a little over a month ago. She was pushing 16 years but am still pretty sad about her. Was with me everyday pretty much.

I'll have to buy more space on my web page host in the future. Try to keep photos up for as long as possible that way.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

thought I might find this in here.

which is my mallet as I applied a coat of finish to it. Is from a chunck of lignum that was around for a couple of years. I had a mallet similar, not as heavy as this one, which just didn't fit my hand right so I changed a few things so it would and turned it.
Duncan Wilkie

Post by Duncan Wilkie »

Sorry to hear about your Doggie Doug. Sixteen certainly is a good long stretch for a hound, but you sure do miss them.
That's a really sweet mallet sir!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

That's a very nice mallet.
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Lignum vitae (and better do a spell check) is an extremely dense wood that'll sink like an anchor in water (specific gravity stuff) it's pretty much a protected species although for the price of it they need not worry. The piece I bought about 5years ago was $100 and measured about 4"square and18" long. I actually bought it for a plane bottom(which I never learned to make) and the wood was used in past centuries by the English navy for ships pully's...... So Smitty....enjoy looking at it as I'll knock over the block with it whenever you're my way to visit.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Doug,

That mallet is too pretty to go whacking anything with.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Joe.......I turned that a couple of years ago and use it all the time right now. For all the bashing I've given it she still looks the same. That darn ligum is tough!!!! I'll get a photo of the first mallet and this one side by side for comparison. The revised version, aside from weight, has a better grip.