Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

The order of gilding steps

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Stan Hubbard

The order of gilding steps

Post by Stan Hubbard »

:? Good afternoon, I'm hoping to bother some of you experienced letterers for some procedural advise. I have successfully chipped a large letter on a sheet of glass that I intend on gilding. After that I want to mirror the rest of the sheet. My plan is to dam the glass around the letter, angle-gild that portion of the sheet, back-up the letter out to the glow-line, remove the dam and re-clean back to the paint-line, re-tin and silver the rest. Is that a reasonable plan? Thank you very much for your comments! Stan Hubbard
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

8) Well Stan... that seems like a good plan to me. You should probably use that industrial strenghth, amber colored, hot melt glue for the dam. I don't think the standard clear hot melt withstands all the water, and ends up lifting halfway through the process. I was taught that the inscription should be backed up with asphaltum varnish if you're going to silver over it. I was also taught that the silvering should be backed up with asphaltum also, so as to keep the silver from tarnishing, although there are other back-up products available for backing silver. Keep in mind, you should have some type of painted outline around your letter as you shouldn't have the mirrored gold brightline butt right up to the silvering.

Hope that helps. -Aho!
Stan Hubbard

Post by Stan Hubbard »

:D Thank you very much Larry! I'm glad to know about the amber hot-glue, all I have is the clear. As to the asphaltum varnish, all I have is some Gilsonite Asphaltum,( glossy black), that I purchased from the Angel Gilding folks. Is this what you were referring to, or will it suffice? I really want to make certain that I get set-up with all the proper materials as I have many projects to accomplish and I want to avoid as many "re-do's" as possible. Would the black asphaltum be an acceptable outline paint too? Black would just happen to work for outline color for this project but for those that will require other colors, do you have a favorite paint type/brand? Thank you again for responding so quickly yesterday! Stan