Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Signmaking 101: Design software

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jeff Umsted

Signmaking 101: Design software

Post by Jeff Umsted »

Hi all! This is not your usual software question but one that may shed some light, for a newbie such as myself. If you could, tell me what features your software has that YOU could not live without and why?

Program name:

feature 1;

feature 2;
etc....

Thank you in advance!
Jeff :? :? :?
Jeff Umsted
Lapeer, Michigan
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...I'm sure that all art SW has it's advantages (and disadvantages). I like that ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR is so widely accepted and used. Especially with commercial graphic designers.
Jon Harl

Post by Jon Harl »

The thing I like about Adobe Illustrator is the Pen Tool. It's very powerful for producing original letterforms. I usually draw my words out in pencil on a light table, scan it into Photoshop, then use that scan as a template layer to draw over the top of with the pen tool. Great feature that I'm sure is in some form or another in most good design programs. I just happen to like Illustrator. Probably because I was trained on it.