Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glue Chip glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Glue Chip glass

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Just curious about glue chip. Having success with chipping but invariably need a second chip to eliminate all of the frosted areas. 80% to 90% chip with first chip including some rather large (but desirable) chips. Chipping follows applying glue mix (1:1 1/2) to warm glass, allowing 4-6 hours at room temperature, overnight with low fan (producing 20% chip) and completing with 6-7 hours with dehumidifier and warmth. I am guessing that my small compressor's limitation affects the uniformity of the frosting application although it appears to be uniform. Appreciate the assistance and also appreciate the spectacular examples showing up on this site. Bob
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Glue Chip glass

Post by Mike Jackson »

Robert,
All you need is a light frost on the glass. A small blaster/etcher should work fine.

I think you may be rushing the process. Mix the glue, let it set until it looks like thick oatmill, heat it, pour it, then let it dry rock hard on it's own. Don't force that step!!!!!!! Once it is completely dry, it will start chipping. Rick had a warming booth with lights to bring the temp up, and that will bring the humidity down. In a dry climate, you should get a good chip with no extra heaters, dehumidifiers, or desicants. Those extra techniques are normally used when you get a stubborn area that won't chip on its own.

Try that and let us know how it goes.

M. Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Robert Schwieger

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Trying to resolve the glass glue chipping concerns such as delayed and partial chipping I conducted some comparison tests on a current project. The short answer to the problem is simply "the glue". I did side by side comparisons of two different hide glues. Both examples were preceeded by identical steps 1:1 1/3 mix, warm glass, set up time, etc. Glue mix #1 chipped only partially after extended hours even using a dehumidifier. Glue mix #2 (another brand) chipped well overnight and completed with an additional 4 hours WITHOUT dehumidifier. This is somewhat unexpected since our area usually has 50-60% humidity or higher. Both glues are reputable but I will withhold their names since this might be inappropriate for this forum. Additional pieces using #2 glue mix have resulted in continued success. Bob
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Robert,
When we first started glue-chipping, we bought a 50 lb bag of the glue from the place Rick Glawson recommended. 50lbs is a lot of glue! We broke it down into gallon jars and used it as needed. We gave some away, sold a few gallons, and eventually got down to the last few jars. That stuff was great! In fact, it was quite aggressive and we had to add 10 drops of glycerin to each ounce of glue to keep it from plinking the edges.

Then, we agreed to teach a glue-chip class in Boise (2000). Esoteric Sign Supply supplied us with glue for the class, knowing our supply was getting a little too low. When we did the class, we noticed the glue was more amber in color compared to our dark green glue. It was much slower and less powerful. When we returned hom to Jackson Hole after the meeting, we did some side by side tests and our old glue outperformed the amber glue as we had suspected.

So, not all glues are equal. When I spoke with the tech at Milligan-Higgins a long time ago, he knew about the old dark green variety, but said it wasn't available anymore. Seems like it was labeled with XX, but it has been too long to remember the details of the convesation.

Hope this helps,
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I just looked on the Hard to Find Sign Supplies page. We made that page after Rick passed away.
http://www.theletterheads.com/supplies/index.htm

Here's what I wrote at the time and it might help now:
Milligan & Higgins - Glue Chip Glue
Maple Avenue - P.O. Box 506 - Johnstown, NY 12095 Phone: 518-762-4638 - Fax: 518-762-7039.
Ask for 135 gram strength or 164 gram strength glue chip glue. The higher number is more aggressive. Sold in 50 lb drums.
As I write this now, I can remember the tech telling me they had switched their ratings from X-XX to gram strength ratings.

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons