Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Water Jet Cutting and Glass Work

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Water Jet Cutting and Glass Work

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I had some steel letters cut for a town sign I'm doing and yesterday we went to pick them up. The young farm couple purchased a 8' x12' waterjet table a few months ago and are just learning the ropes. We got to talking about the possibilities with the machine and glass and it boggled my mind.
I googled and couldn't find much in terms of images and was just wondering if anyone here has or knows of any artistic or architectural glass references that show examples of pieces utilizing water jet cutting?
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Re: Water Jet Cutting and Glass Work

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Kelly,

Haven''t seen many examples of glass cut recently, but have seen it used in commercial work for years. Of the half dozen shops in the area that provide water jet cutting, they cut everything from carpet to 2" thick stainless steel, but would depend on the size of the pump working the water jet. The cuts are clean and as precise as the vector art provided.

This image was the first reversed gold/glass I'd ever done. Not knowing how it would turn out, I ordered two pieces in the event I messed one up, or one was damaged in shipment to Israel. The glass measures 1/2" t, 7" w 10" h.

The mixture used for glass is water and garnet that is pumped through a nozzel, so the edge has the appearance of being sandblasted with 200 grit sand.
Attachments
BenGurion_University.jpg
BenGurion_University.jpg (47 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Thanks Danny,
On your sample were the lizard and the other carved areas done by the waterjet as well? I understand that by increasing the speed you can carve part way through, but I'm not sure how well that works on glass.

This image from How Stuff Works shows a brass inlay in glass. The potential outcome incorporating some of the ornate vectors from Mike Jackson, Gary Godby, Dave Smith, David Butler type collections is endless. I was surprised I couldn't find any examples of similar work, when I went looking?
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

Hi Kelly,
I have used waterjet cutting for many glass projects as well as other materials. As far as I'm concerned it's far better than CNC for "through" cuts. As for "stop" cuts, I don't think that's possible with waterjet cutting (?)...........CNC is best for that
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

After the glass was cut, a mask was applied for the Chameleon, the lines at the bottom, then sand carved.

While speed may be adjusted to produce different effects, I've never seen water jet used for anything but through cuts.

One thing it will not cut is tempered glass.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com