Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Curved gilded advertising

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Curved gilded advertising

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I have been busy recently with making curved glass panels which were then kiln fired.The glass was just coated in black and then fired ,a total of 12 were made for a company who needed glass to go round posts inside a shop for a card display. Thought it would be a good opportunity to make a sign with the same paint and technique .I put together a design and worked it up on the computer and then cut a mask for the letters .after applying the letters I hand painted the shade and then the background and surrounding text edge upto the wet edge of the shade.I pulled off the mask leaving a sharp clean edge and then fired the glass to bake the paint into the surface and curve it at the same time. Afterwards I varnished in a line between the painted border and once dry wire wooled it to turn it matt white ,once this was solid dry I gilded the piece in 16,18 and 24 crt gold... came out looking very old.Next time will probably add some mica acid etching to the letters and some cutting to enhance this type of corner sign. A friend is making me an oak curved frame to finish it off.
curved 6.jpg
curved 6.jpg (134.43 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
showing the metal former which is just a piece of checker plate flooring
but using the revers side .Bent this sheet in a friends metal press in 1'' increments with small amounts of controlled pressure
curved8.jpg
curved8.jpg (159.38 KiB) Viewed 6814 times
curved7.jpg
curved7.jpg (185.46 KiB) Viewed 6814 times
DAVE SMITH

Re: Curved gilded advertising

Post by DAVE SMITH »

some more images of the glass.
curved5.jpg
curved5.jpg (131.63 KiB) Viewed 6838 times
curved4.jpg
curved4.jpg (150.25 KiB) Viewed 6825 times
Attachments
curved3.jpg
curved3.jpg (153.23 KiB) Viewed 6802 times
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

2 more
curved2.jpg
curved2.jpg (68.64 KiB) Viewed 6813 times
curved1.jpg
curved1.jpg (149.34 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Yes Smitty........you ARE right out of your mind. As always another great job and photos to go with it. You'll have to post a few (photos) of the card shop for us. It's always encouraging to see "real" jobs as cool as this art piece is.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Beautiful as allways. Very nice letters, and a fine example of using mostly letters only to create a beautiful layout.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks guy's .Doug it was just curved glass and painted black and kiln fired no text was on them so I never photographed them as they were just curved basic glass panels. This piece was just a play piece and an experimenting project I guess.
Dave
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Dave, thanks for sharing. It is always a real pleasure to see your craftsmanship.

Another Dy-NO-Mite job!
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Ron.
Jerry the artwork was originally an old letterhead which i changed the layout and added more text and scrolls. they seem to look the part on the curved signs. I'm looking for other designs which would suite the same process if any one has any?
Dave
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Dave- I am not fit to clean your brushes-
Top class work.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Mr. Smith.
I want my glass slumped.
And I am ready to pay your price to learn to do so.

Nice piece, Dave.
You painted first, then fired and slumped, correct?
With one-shot? japans?
Gilding after slumping and cooling...
I'm going to experiment with that myself here, on a smaller scale first.

That's just crazy.
You think a man who brilliant cuts, chips, etches and gilds isn't crazy?
Maybe. Maybe not.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

So, tell me Mr. Smith, how long have you been making exquisite glass signs for a living?

If I ever get the money, I'd like to get a kiln.

And before my eyes rot, I'd like to try some of your masterful techniques!

Guess there's really only one thing left to say.....CRIKEY (again)!

...it's easy to find you! You leave a trail where ever you go...Bright shiney gold signs!

-Aho!

By the way, ...Can you slump your toned etching and brilliant cut pieces?
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks you men of Machine, Tony I used a glass paint which is ground . I bought it from a supplier for kiln fired glass.
You know it really is very straight forward to bend these smaller panels but the bigger ones probably need some working out.Larry yes they will all slump but the chipping toning and cutting is always done first. I bet Doug has some bent panel pics in his archive he might post here...........
I have one to make for a friend in France but it is bigger than the ones I have done.

IT will read
Arron Dart
Ebeniste d'art, ferme du Bosq 14240 Torteval Quesnay, Normandie
Fabrication et Restauration, Tous Styles Anciens & Moderne Francais &Anglais. will try to make it look this french by using French Embossing and curved gilded and painted black 4'x4' ,it will hang in an auction house for cabinet restoration. will post a pic if I get to start it this year.
Thanks again you guys
Dave