Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Superfrog: Butch Anton

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Superfrog: Butch Anton

Post by Mike Jackson »

Quite a few people here know Butch "Superfrog" Anton. He hosted the #21 International Letterheads meeting in Fargo in about 1995 or 1996. He writes articles for Sign Builder magazine and has been active with some of the trade shows, giving seminars and presentations. He was also a regular at Glawson's conclaves.

Sign Builder Magazine announced he had been fighting Cancer and has not been writing for them much lately. He submitted an article a couple of months ago, and was joking about losing his hair in the article. I called his shop but only got a recording. A few days ago, I called again after hearing of all the flooding problems at Fargo and Moorehead. Cindy said they were on higher ground and generally in good shape, but Butch had gone back to the hospital. She told me he had throat cancer and was having trouble talking, plus had been getting fed through fluids and has lost a lot of weight.

I hope I am not giving out more information than I should here, but I think he would be okay with it. If you have any spare prayers, now's a good time to spend a few. I am sure we all wish him well.

Best regards,
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Ron Berlier

Re: Superfrog: Butch Anton

Post by Ron Berlier »

Mike, thank you for the information. I haven't seen Butch for a long while, I think it was at Letterheads meet held at Product Sign Supply in Sacramento, CA. He was one of the nicest and most energetic people I have had the opportunity to meet. I will be happy to put Butch on my list. I really hope his condition improves significantly.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

I called Butch on Saturday but he was not at the shop. The person that I talked to said that they were on the highest point in Moorehead and had no problems with the flooding.

The chemo has destroyed Butch's immune system, so he has to be careful about catching everything that comes along. From my report he is in good spirits and determined to fight whatever happens.

He was "at the lake", so I'm assuming he has a cabin or something to get away to.

I'll check back in a few dates and post a more recent "report".

Prayers are still going up.
Susan Banasky

Post by Susan Banasky »

Any chance that someone can post either a mailing address or an email address so we can send him our best wishes directly? (With his permission of course)
Get well soon Butch.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I stole this photo off Butch's site:
http://www.superfrog.com/

Mail:
Superfrog Enterprises • 116 21st Street S. • Moorhead, MN 56560

Email address:
superfrog@702com.net

I don't have any updates, but it might be best to mail cards, vs trying to call.
The Sign Builder note said it was hard for him to write his last article, so it is also probably hard to answer emails. You might include something like "Butch, don't worry about answering this email. Just thinking of you".

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Jim Moser

Post by Jim Moser »

Sent Butch an email and received this reply....
Thanks for the email. Good to see your around still. I will look you up if I come your way.
I’m in recovery and it’s anything but speedy but I’m getting there.
Life is much too important to be taken seriously