Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Frank H. Atkinson 1915 Sign Painting Manual

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Rob Schramm

Frank H. Atkinson 1915 Sign Painting Manual

Post by Rob Schramm »

Well I am now up to 8 books from 1915 - 1940 on sign painting, painting on glass and much more. Todays find I have been watching for 3 days and then today realized what it was. I contacted the owner and he said the book was complete but just in a little disarray binding wise. I was looking at the net and seeing later versions for between $150 - $450, I paid $55 for this and I am pretty sure that the information in this book is worth well over $55 and maybe soon I wont have so many questions and will have a better understanding.

Below is a link to the site that I won today on ebay, check out the pics of the book and tell me if I got a good deal :mrgreen:
Do any of you know where I would go to get the binding fixed? I dont normally buy things in bad condition but I was going after the info, fonts, detail of the layouts and so on and thought that would be the thing I need the most.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0337916786
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Rob Schramm

Re: Frank H. Atkinson 1915 Sign Painting Manual

Post by Rob Schramm »

Signwork
by Bill Stewart

Is this a good book? $8 sounds like a steal if the information in it is worth while. If anyone has it, read it or knows of it let me know if it is a good buy.

Next do any of you know of other VINTAGE books that goes into signs around Victorian, Art Deco or Art Nouveau era, that would be worth searching out? If any of you do let me know the name of the book, author and publisher if possible.

Thanks
Rob
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Frank would be proud of you for buying his book at the price you paid...however, you may end up paying more to have it rebound in a conservationist manner than if you had bought one in better condition.

My advice is to just enjoy the contents and not worry about having it rebound. If you keep looking, you will eventually find one in great shape for only a few dollars more. Then you can resell the one in bad shape to a newbie...and start the cycle all over again.

If you need help looking for sign books, I can sell you a 2009 Sign Book Search Guide.

Im just an email away.

zignmahn@yahoo.com

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Bill Stewarts Signwork is an excellent book- and was written for the City and Guilds sign course here in the UK as an instructional textbook.
It covers: Letterforms-heraldry-paints-colours-ladders-signboard construction-signwriting-gilding-Glasswork,(acid etching,gilding & painting)-screenprinting-vynull-cut out letters and pricing.

Should be in everyones library :mrgreen:

Other UK books to look out for:

The Modern Signwriter-1954 & 61-printed by the Sutherland Publishing Company, and written by a variety of contributors..
In much the same vein as Signwork,-as a manual.

Van Writing Up to date-1937- by WH Coates- of its age but a good reference to "modern" 30's layout
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Rob,
You are at a point where you have to ask youself whether you are going to be a vintage book collector, or whether you are trying to build a morgue of great old work. And actually, you can do both simultaneously. There are lots of good old book titles out in the world, some still inexpensive and some darned expensive ranging up to $1000 or more. At the same time, you can spend $300 on Dover books and get a wealth of information with booklets in the $5.95-$8.95 range. Dover has also gone digital and has many of their titles in CD or DVD formats, consisting of a small reference book and the CD with the digital files. Be forewarned however, the digital images are usually only bitmaps (tif), relatively small, and not always too clean if enlarged. Same is true if they sell their vectorized formats. I don't find them useable at all, except for reference images. Signs of the Times reprinted a lot of the better old sign books and quite a few of them still show up at reasonable prices. In fact, they reprinted the old Atkinson book you are talking about. Collecting old books (or anything for that matter) can be addictive, costly, and also very rewarding.

http://www.signmuseum.net/library/topbooks.asp

I have to admit, I had a passion for the turn-of-the-century look, represented by Atkinson style images when I compiled the list of 25 books. The list might have been a lot different if I was craving Art Noveau or Art Deco at that particular time. The Atkinson look fit the western look of Jackson Hole much better than Art Deco, which might have better served Miami, FL, for example. I have several bookshelves of valuable old sign books and another bookshelf of reprinted similar books, plus several filled with retro books on topics like vintage matchbook covers, luggage labels, can labels, cigar labels, orange crate labels, and so on and so on.

We've all spent a lot of time in antique book stores. It can be darned fun and rewarding if you can afford it. When we went to Bloomington, Indiana for Gary Anderson's meeting, Darla and I strolled around some of the antique stores and bookshops. I found several vintage sign books right there in Indiana, more or less right under Gary's nose. But then, we have a nice old bookstore in Jackson Hole and I haven't been inside it in 10 years. I always seem to be too busy to go in there.

Going back to your post, I don't think I'd spend the money to have that one rebound. You can find another one if you keep looking. In actuality, it might be a great resource if you wanted to scan any of the images. You could do it without worrying about breaking the spine of a more valuable one.

Best of luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Rob Schramm

Post by Rob Schramm »

Mike,

Thank you very very much for such an informative post. I got my first book today which was Practical Sign Painting by Robert E. Owen (this one I only paid $9 for) but I do get what you mean and I do own about 75 Dover books as I use their designs all the time in my work and have for years. Love that Dover collections and now they have a Vector art book (much of it is not vinyl ready). I will take your advise as I still have 1 final collection to buy from you this week and then I have all of them as well.

Thanks
Rob