Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

M,A,N!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jeff Lang

M,A,N!

Post by Jeff Lang »

I was lettering some trophy placques today with roman lettering & thought of something my mentor, Coleman Joyce taught me. The only letters in the alphabet that begin with a thin stroke are "M", "A", and "N". Often, when i do some handlettering, I find myself repeating in my mind many things I have learned along the way. This one was helpful again.

Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
Jill Marie Welsh

Post by Jill Marie Welsh »

:wink:
That is a nice little tip, Jeffrey P!
Easy to remember too.
Every once in awhile, I have a blank moment.
And nothing looks worse than a "backwards" letter!
Thanks.
Love....Jill
alan johnson

Post by alan johnson »

Hi Jeff , A friend told me to look at a dollar bill if you're unsure of the thick and thin thing. Of course you have a buck. :wink: AJ
"Maintain"
Jon Harl

Post by Jon Harl »

One of the medical clinics in Long Beach, CA, Harriman-Jones, had a 7 story building near the freeway. At the top of the building they had some white channel letters in Optima, very upscale. The A's were backwards. The sign company built them that way. I wonder how many hands it went through without anybody noticing?
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Several years ago I was painting a truck and it had a "fancy logo" designed by one of the people in the organization.
It really was pretty nice, except that the "Y" was backwards. I just had to do it as it was designed.
If you have done any calligraphy and have held a calligraphy pen, you know that the chiseled edge is placed on the page at an angle. This creates your natural thick & thin strokes. If I have any question about where the thick or thin strokes should fall, I try to visualize using a calligraphy pen. Seems to work for me.