Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Monogram Engraving Templates

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dave Dubé

Monogram Engraving Templates

Post by Dave Dubé »

I bought some old paper this past Monday. One of my buys was a 'book' of monogram patterns, one plate of which I included here. The jewelry business from which this book came closed in the Mid-Twenties. It has a total of sixty plates which are edged with gold. There is no covers present. It has a sewn binding. Pages edges are foxed and severely stained on one edge, but it doesn't detract from the images in the least. Can anybody help me identify who put this together?
Attachments
Monogram1S.jpg
Monogram1S.jpg (122.98 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
James Warwick

Re: Monogram Engraving Templates

Post by James Warwick »

Dave,
I have a large paperback book: Monograms and Alphabetic Devices by Hayward And Blanche Cirker with over 2500 illustrations. 1970. It is a collection of different designers work. (Renoir, Knight, Demengeot, and Smith) Monograms in three and four letters, designed by J. Gordon Smith (heraldic artist). Your plate is the first plate in the Smith section.

J. Gordon Smith is your designer man !!
Dave Dubé

Post by Dave Dubé »

THANKS! Some of these are absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to use one or two for my own devices.
Dave Dubé

Post by Dave Dubé »

A search for "J Gordon Smith" heraldry reveals that this was a leather bound book published in 1880 - in England.