Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

screwing HDU test?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

screwing HDU test?

Post by joe cieslowski »

I want to try a couple of different ideas to secure screws into HDU but a can't think of a test that actually measures the strength of the attachment. I've got a few Rube Goldberg ideas but they are pretty complicated.

Any ideas? I'll try anything reasonable.

"Test, test, test.......gotta have a test" played to the tune of........I forget :roll:

Thanks,

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
ericmalicoat

Re: screwing HDU test?

Post by ericmalicoat »

While there are complex tools for measuring holding power, most tests come down to applying increasing force in the desired direction until failure is reached.

The poorman's means of doing this would be to secure your HDU off the ground with the mount facing down, mount a backet hanging directed down with a fishing scale at the connection point, and keep adding wieght until it mount pulling out. Your final wieght should approximately give you the holding strength. Alternately, skip the fishing scale and weigh the backet full of weight once it fails on your bathroom scale.
Doug Bernhardt

Re: screwing HDU test?

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Good luck with the tests. Look forward to results. Mine so far has been how hard I can bloody pull on the screw although the denser HDU's are "mighty". Have heard of a 30LB corafoam and am looking forward to seeing that.