Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Which brushes?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Scarlett Rickard

Which brushes?

Post by Scarlett Rickard »

Hello folks - I wonder if you'd be able to help me... I keep getting signwriting jobs doing small lettering (like numberplates for classic show motorcycles in a fairground style) and my brushes just aren't up to it, I am finding myself having to work against the brush to try and get a good sharp finish. I am using Wrights of Lymm chisel sable writers... generally when painting large letters the bigger the brush the better, to fill as much as possible in one stroke, but I am struggling with this on a small scale. Obviously it doesn't help that you don't have the free flow of the mahl when you're working small too... but I am just not convinced the brushes I am using are the best for the job.

Which brushes do you use for small lettering?

And which brushes do you prefer for informal script? A one-stroke poster writer?

Thanks! Scarlett
Wayne Osborne

Re: Which brushes?

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Hi Scarlett,
I use the shortest length in the pure chisel sable ranges- either form Wrights or Handovers- specially in sizes 0-2
Scarlett Rickard

Great, thanks Wayne, that was my hunch but I wasn't sure which ones to get.

Scarlett
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hi again Scarlett...
I'm with Wayne on those brushes.They are a nice set to use. great for small text.
Dave
Scarlett Rickard

Hello Dave! How are things? Still producing some really beautiful stuff I see! I will definitely order myself a set of these, sounds exactly what I need - I think my stock is too long, that's where I am having problems as it amplifies any shake in your hand!

One day I will come and visit you and do one of your courses!!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Your more than welcome here anytime Scarlett. Things are good busy with work and cleaning up puppy poop in my workshop most days.
Nice to see you back on the forum. good luck with those brushes.
Dave
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Scarlett- looking today at my kit I have a couple of smaller -short length-brushes in Quills-( probably ticket writers)
i think the hairs in those are a sable ox mix but they have a nice "spring" about them for small lettering
Ah Dave!-
Every good workshop should have a little puppy poo - Our jack russell is 3 now but comes to work every day.
When we got him ,I was worried about the combination of freshly painted panels and loose white dog hairs- However my shop has never been so dust free- it seems the accumulation of "fluff" on the floor holds all the dust in place, and does'nt let it float around the workshop
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Wayne.
This little dog is only 12 weeks old ,he is called Milo and great fun he is to have around. He is part of the furniture now!
Good thing about him he's only small and probably won't get any bigger, he's a little black pug with huge eye's! hardly needs walking.
...Dave
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Keep him away from the glue chips Dave!
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

TOO LATE ERIK!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

TOO LATE ERIK!
Scarlett Rickard

Oh dear!! I had a friend whose dog ate a potful of rabbit skin glue with an orange dye in it, he was orange around the gills for months! ha ha

Thanks for the brush tips folks, I have got myself a selection from Wrights to try out - some of the one stroke poster brushes, and the sable/ox mix Keeps' Rekab brushes with a short length - possibly similar to Wayne's?

I got a couple of the Mack sable writers too, so I can do a thorough test! ha ha

Cheers - Scarlett