Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Pool table light

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dan Beach

Pool table light

Post by Dan Beach »

You guys are such an inspiration to me, I've ordered a bunch of stuff to make a (hopefully) really cool light for above my pool table.

Some of the glass will be chipped, gilded, and some painted. What paint would give a nice glow with the lights on and not all dark and ugly?
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
South Jersey
Dan Beach

Re: Pool table light

Post by Dan Beach »

Can stained glass be etched, gilded, and/or chipped?
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
South Jersey
Patrick Mackle

Re: Pool table light

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Hi Dan,
Stained glass can be etched, gilded, sand blasted, acid etched/frosted, wheel engraved, bent in a kiln, fused in layers if it is compatible (COE). silvered, and drilled.
It can also be painted or screened with vitreous glass enamels and fired in a kiln. Glass enamels are permanent colors fused into the glass.
Stained glass can be glue chipped as well, in fact some stained glass is sold with glue chipping already done.
Some stained glasses are actually softer than window glass and chip easier.

As far as durable transparent colors for glass I really like the transparent enamel inks from NAZ DAR.
They really adhere to glass whether I screen print them or spray them. I have even dipped clear glass running lights for yatches
in those enamels. You can even spray mirror silvering solution over them to tint the silvering.
Pat