Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

DualSaw?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

DualSaw?

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi all,
I watched a little of an infomercial today for a DualSaw (www.dualsaw.com)

I had just cut a couple of interior straight lines in some MDO a couple of days ago and was wishing for a small circular saw. So, this tool caught my attention.

Has anyone bought one of these tools, or tried one out? If it worked like the commercial shows, it'd easily be worth around $225 delivered.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Mark Summers

Re: DualSaw?

Post by Mark Summers »

I understand the logic with the dual rotating blades and going forward
and backward. The one thing I can't quite warm up to is going into
ferrous metal, rebar etc. Has anyone ever put a carbide blade into
steel before? Scared me.

Mark
David Slade

Post by David Slade »

Hi Mike and Mark,
What is MDO?
As for the carbide wheel, cut against the rotation and start slow so it can heat the metal a little first. It can kind of melt its way through the cut.
David

PS The first thing my machine shop teacher told me was, "Everything you can do with those machines you can do by hand." Then he showed us the chisels and files!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

David,
MDO stands for Medium Density Overlayed Plywood. The top layer of the plywood is replaced with a smoother fiber board layer which accepts paint well and has no knots or grain. One brand of it is called Duraply, but I haven't seen people use that term in a long time.
"Everything you can do with those machines you can do by hand."
Hmmmmm....that's a slippery slope concept....but I think you need to add "eventually" at the end of it. As the years go by, the biggest cost of any project is the labor that goes into it, so the goal changes to using the labor most effeciently using the right tools you can buy once and use over and over.

Back to the saw, if their claims are accurate, you aren't supposed to have to change blades to cut all those materials, including cutting across a nail while sawing through wood. The commercial has the flavor of those Ghinsu Knives and the Ronco Slice-O-Dice-O-Matic tools, so it makes you wonder how they really perform in the field. That's why I made the post.

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I just did a google search for dualsaw reviews and found this:
http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/omni-du ... -grade-saw

Sounds like most of them think it is a piece of junk.

For what I was doing, this saw might be the best tool:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 000P?mv=rr

For cutting metal, this might be better:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... eviewsWrap

Mike
Attachments
The red lines were parts I might have wanted the smaller saw to cut.
The red lines were parts I might have wanted the smaller saw to cut.
straighlinecuts.jpg (63.59 KiB) Viewed 6653 times
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a flat bed like a regular circular saw. Seems like it would hard to cut a clean straight verticle line
David Slade

Post by David Slade »

Hi Mike,
The duel saw is impressive on the site! with wood I think you would not have a problem with it. Seems like the teeth might clog up after a while though.
That aside, for the slot shown, I would try a small diameter router bit. Clamp a piece of wood as a guide and that would make a nice straight cut. Or, if you drill a small hole at the head of each line you can use a coping saw. That would probably give a narrower slit.
That reminds me... I have seen a Sherline lathe that was set up as a mini table saw. A machinist slitting saw was mounted on an arbor with a home-made aluminum table on the top of the head. Slitting saws are very thin so they don't create much friction therefor better control.
Proxxon is really popular here in Japan. http://www.proxxon.com/us/ The longneck angle grinder with a slitting saw on it might work well. The Proxxon site lists slitting saws as Spring steel cutting blades.
Just trying to be helpful...
David
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

YIKKES!!! I'm ready to order my own dual saw today........it slices it dices,but wait. that's not all, at no extra charge we'll include this exclusive.............Loved it.