Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Imitation/Composition gold leaf

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

David Slade

Imitation/Composition gold leaf

Post by David Slade »

This looks to be metal, not vinyl, and comes in books just like genuine gold.
Has anyone used it?
Any opinions?

David Slade
Attachments
imitation leaf 3.jpg
imitation leaf 3.jpg (44.31 KiB) Viewed 2510 times
Sarah King

Re: Imitation/Composition gold leaf

Post by Sarah King »

Yes, I've used it. It's brass rather than gold and so it is very cheap. I think the leaves are 5 1/2 inches square rather than 3 3/8" It tarnishes very easily (gold does not tarnish at all) and in my experience it does not go on the glass as smoothly as gold. It is thicker than gold which makes it easier to use but you can burnish it smooth. All the wrinkles show up. It is not as reflective as gold. Whether it suits your job depends on the look you are trying to achieve. You can use it but you better tell the customer that it is not real gold leaf. They will find that out anyway when it starts to tarnish - which it will sooner or later. If you are going for an "antique" gold look it might be just the thing.
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com
David Slade

Re: Imitation/Composition gold leaf

Post by David Slade »

Thanks Sarah,
Did not know it was brass.
Gold is so expensive.
Is there a good, cheap, gold-like alternative for hobby projects?

David