Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Mural - Finished and Installed

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Mural - Finished and Installed

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Loved working with the Aura paints!
We loaded it up and off to Brooks. It's hard to believe that much work fits into this box!!!! With three of us working it took a combined total of 50 hours to install it.

For closer views of the individual panels click here
Last edited by Kelly Thorson on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Larry White

Re: Mural - Finished and Installed

Post by Larry White »

Nice mural...very nice mural.

Interesting configuration.

I like hex nuts, I mean, I always have...

valves too...

You never mentioned anything about a certian, Lunch Box....

Good job. Just might make some sense to take the rest of the afternoon off.
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Well done, awesome job,great to see it up and together...Pat
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Thanks Larry, I think I may take a couple of weeks off. Well, as soon as I get done a couple of other projects. ;)
Pat and Ruth, thanks so much for the day you and Graham helped, your visit gave me the strength to push through finish the job on time. :) The pipes panel was one committee members favourite, BTW.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Wow Kelly! You put some work in on this one.
Very Nice job..
Dave
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

Kelly, you folks really did a grand job on that project. I'm sure you are glad it is behind you. What's next on the agenda?

Dennis
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Sleep :lol:
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

I'll be d____ed.

Very nice, Thorson.
Did you have any govt hangups layin that pipeline?
Where abouts is the bldg? would I have seen the area?

Good project, great concept, good persistence.
If you're gonna persist, you have to persist harder.

Put that in your portfolio,
and if you painted a small, to scale colored rendering,
enter it in your nearest art contest. Beef up that exposure,eh?

Aho.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

The mural is about 6 hours drive from here in Brooks, Alberta, Tony. It's in the industrial area of the city on a main road where it should get lot's of exposure.
It's titled "Making the Connection", a play on the oil terminology portrayed in the largest panel as well as the connection of the panels by pipes.
The concept was a solution to covering the size of the building within the budget, as well as an insurance should I be unable to complete it alone. The individual panels with the b&w framework would have allowed me to hire different artists to complete panels and still have them tie in together. As it was I managed to complete them all with the help of my daughter Jess, who helped with a couple and painted the rig panel. We've worked together enough that she can work in the same style. I found it a bit difficult to stick to the slightly cartoony look as it isn't my normal style, but the tight deadline helped keep me from refining too much.
I really enjoyed the chance to just paint for a few weeks, it is what I was meant to do and I hope it brings in more projects. I've got a couple of other murals in the works, although they will probably not be until next year. This project took a lot of energy.