Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

anything other than glass.........urgent need !

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

vance galliher

anything other than glass.........urgent need !

Post by vance galliher »

I'm doing some carved/etched panels.... can't use tempered, and don't have the time to order 1/4" with 1/8" laminate (take 2-3 weeks from local glass shops). I did a test yesterday carving 3/8" acrylic with silicon carbide and it only etched it ...no carving at all...this stuff is really hard ( or maybre it's to soft ?) Has anyone successfully carved a clear substrate other than glass ? This is for a two sided backlite exterior sign.
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Larry White

Re: anything other than glass.........urgent need !

Post by Larry White »

Well, Vance....I don't know of any substrate, other than glass, that can be depth carved. All the acrylics, plexiglass, Lexan etc. won't carve. They can be surface etched as the media will impact the surface, basically denting it, which changes the appearance. Same with metal. However, with glass, the media chips the glass away, reluting in the ability to go deeper and deeper. If you find anything that will work, let us know.

Finding a glass supplier, rather than a glass shop, might cut down the lead time in ordering laminated glass. Or, call around to all the glass shops and see if any of them have any lami sitting around that would meet your requirements. Hey, good luck.

-Larry
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Vance,

Larry's right about depth carving acrylic. If his commercial equipment won't do it, the smaller units most have wont touch it.

Give Fabricated Glass a call, they're in Talent Oregon, 800 347-5952l.

Here in the bay area they deliver 3-4 times a week.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Vance,... maybe this is answer is too obvious....
But if you only need to have a blasting effect for "This is for a two sided backlite exterior sign", why don't you stick some glass etched vinyl on the transparant glass or acrylic?

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Vinyl?! Oh, oh...
most vulgar, vulgar look compared to etched, carved glass.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Haha.
Hope someone else can give the answer that does not excist.
Maybe the non-paying customer will know what is best, since the sign will not be ready in time.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

Tony's right Eric..........I would never use vinyl for carved/etched look. Danny, Fab Glass has some 9/32" to 9/32", 3/16" to 3/16, and 1/4" to 1/4".but not 1/4" to 1/8" . The problem is this a permit type sign, but I may use regular 3/8" and just say it laminated. And Eric, the "non-paying customer" has already paid in full up front, so this piece will be ready by Sept. 10th !!
vance
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Vance,

Wouldn't the double 3/16" work, or due to the net it's under 3/8"; is that measurement a city requirement? If it is, it would be easy to prove the 3/8" laminate, though it doesn't net 3/8", is an industry standard. Most all glass nets out at three thousandths under it's listed dimensional size.

As you know, you don't want to use plate glass. You get trouble both ways: if the city finds out, or if someone hits the glass and is showered by sharp shards of glass.

If you don't have an account with Fabricated glass, set one up. They make a trip your way at least 3-4 days a week. Place an order, and they'd deliver with a couple of days.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

Danny,
I have a account with Fab Glass, but since I don't buy in large volume, I get no discounts. If I buy direct it's $380 per panel ( 28"x46"x double 1/4") The same panel from them through my glass guy is $294. Last night I decided to eat some profit and spent the $600 to do the right thing. Lesson learned...get the facts before the leap.

........... re-reading your post again this morning,
.........no, there is no city requirement for thickness, I just feel better carving thicker panels. However, Ihis time I'll give the double 3/16" a try.........just won't go as deep as I may like . Thanks for all the replies folks
vance
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Vance,
While it is not exactly in line with your question, I wonder about using thick clear plexiglas and letting someone router carve into it? I think your post mentions backlit (vs side lit). You could paint the back of the plex with black or the appropriate color, then rout through it in reverse, revealing only the carved areas. With all the new Artcam programs, you could even have textures, weaves and patterns in the design. Lastly, if desired, you could spray a light coat of transparent paint to tint some areas.

Just a thought.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
David Slade

Post by David Slade »

This one bubbled up through the murk...

What if you put clear varnish on the back of the plexiglas.
Spray silicone, or Scotch-guard onto a piece of sandpaper. About 80 or 60 grit??
When the varnish gels, press the sandpaper onto the varnish with a roller.
Remove the sandpaper and allow to dry.
Paint lettering and outlines the front.

If one of you-all tries this, let me know.
David Slade

PS. You-all is the plural of you, where I'm frum.