Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Notes from a Newbie: Glue Chip & Silvering

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Joshua M. Gray

Notes from a Newbie: Glue Chip & Silvering

Post by Joshua M. Gray »

Greetings, from Denison, TX!

My name is Josh Gray. I'm new to the forum and new to the techniques discussed here. I have a photography background, and have been etching glass with a sandblaster for a couple of years.

I have been reading and learning about glass work for a few months now (on this forum and elsewhere -- a big thanks to all who share & participate!), and finally had the chance to try some basic techniques. So here goes my experience with glue chip and silvering my first mirror...
Mirror First_a.jpg
Mirror First_a.jpg (130.4 KiB) Viewed 3644 times
Mirror First_b.jpg
Mirror First_b.jpg (134.53 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
Material list included 192 gram strength glue (a little stronger than the recommended 165), glue pot, a sheet glass mirroring kit from Angel Gilding, and a piece of regular 1/4" glass; 14" x 22" (the largest that would fit in the mirroring kit tray).

First off, I masked the glass with vinyl and sandblasted using 120 grit aluminum oxide. I blew the glass off with air, rinsed in water with a quick brush scrub, and leveled the glass and applied the glue with a turkey baster. Waited for the glue to gel, and then trimmed with an exacto knife. I did not use asphaltum ... I just left the vinyl mask on.

I waited overnight, and then placed the glass in the sun the next morning. The glue chipped leaving several unchipped areas, especially along the crucial trimmed edges. After a long sigh, I decided that perhaps I better slow down and not be in too big a hurry.

I then repeated the glue application, but this time pre-heated the glass before applying the glue. I also let the glue air dry 1-1/2 days before trying to chip. It was overcast outside, so I assembled a make-shift drying rack in the garage and chipped the glass there. I placed the glass on two saw horses with a card table on top, a tarp draped overall, and an electric ceramic heater underneath for heat.

The results were great, especially around the trimmed areas I was so worried about. BUT there were still a couple of small spots that I wanted chipped ... so I fired up the pot and spot-glued these areas, applying the glue with an eyedropper. Didn't bother trimming the glue this time. I was finally satisfied with the chip after this last attempt.

Through research on this forum and a quick note to Sarah at Angel Gilding, I learned I needed to add an extra cleaning step since I use Aluminum Oxide (it will discolor the silver). No problem ... just gotta clean with a lye solution to dissolve any residue. I soaked the glass in some Red Devil drain cleaner for about an hour. Drano will also work ... it's just gotta have Sodium Hydroxide (lye).

Now I was ready to clean the glass and apply the silver. While reading the silvering instructions and noting how surface tension plays an important part, I was a little worried about chipping to the edge of the glass. This worry was for good reason, because I found the chipping complicates the rinsing process.

I proceeded as per directions to the point of mixing the three silvering chemicals, where-upon the combined solution quickly changed from yellow to dark grey :shock: The instructions say the solution should not turn past pale yellow. So I mixed up a second batch. Same thing happened. :?

I took a deep breath and poured anyway.

The silver almost immediately started to deposit on the glass. It was a pretty sight :D

Gotta realize that, up until that point, I had only seen pictures of gilded glue chipped glass ... so it was really magical to finally see in person. I was/am amazed at how every tiny detail is magnified by the silver.

Overall, I could see a few problem areas in the silver deposit ... a big starburst in the middle, and some bare patches along the edge of the glass where it was tipped for draining (must not have rinsed/drained well enough?). So after the prescribed 5 minutes was up, I rinsed very well -- paying particular attention to the bottom drip edge -- and applied the second batch of silver that was already mixed and ready to go. The silver deposited fine this time.

Dried the glass with a hair dryer and painted the back without incident (something could have gone wrong, right?!).

Turned the glass over for a good look and found a pretty good antique-looking mirror staring back 8)

There is a faint starburst in the center (I poured around the edges first) and a few slight discoloration spots.

I checked with Sarah about why the chemicals changed a dark grey so fast, and she said heat can do it. The chemicals are made to be used at room temperature. Heat speeds up the reaction.

Yeup, it was 95 that day, and I was working in an open garage.

In conclusion, I have some experimenting to do in order to master a crisp, bright silver. I'm hopeful that the hot temperature was the main culprit in my silvering problems. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Cheers!
Josh
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Notes from a Newbie: Glue Chip & Silvering

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Josh,
Looks like you are well on your way. Yes, we have all had that problem and others. Do a few dozen more and you will solve some problems and discover new ones!

Next time, try pouring your silver onto your glass in a glue chipped area instead of onto the clear portion.

Also, a few people discover you can buy a commercial mirror, frost off some of the design area, chip it and then silver it. The commercial mirror will be perfect and you are only dealing with silvering the more forgiving chipped areas.

Good luck,
M. Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Josh,

good job for the first time. Nice looking chip pattern.

Other things to consider and avoid: don't work near an open door, window or air conditioner, all of which will result in an uneven disposition. Plan your silvering in the early morning or later in the evening, or regulate the temperature of the solutions with a cold water bath, making sure the glass is close in the same temperature range.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Joshua M. Gray

Post by Joshua M. Gray »

Thanks for the tips, Mike & Danny!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Josh. Make sure you post a few photos of the finished product........... right? Looks like a terrific start down the narrow path to an addiction!!?!!