Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

PhotoShop Lettering

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Grenier

PhotoShop Lettering

Post by John Grenier »

I'm finding that I need to use Photoshop more and more. I know I need to take Butlers Course and all would be solved. But, I need to know some things in the meantime.
1. How do you make a simple outline?
2. How do you arc type?
3. Surround Shades, etc.

Just basic stuff. I have been looking for some tutorials and found letterhead fonts tips and tricks and also the photoshop site.

My system is Mac os 9.0.4
PhotoShop 5.0

I use an old version of FlexisignPro and the functions are very different for these effects.

Thanks for any clues,
John Grenier
upnorthstudio@yahoo.com
John Grenier
Up North Studio
Les Cheneaux Islands Art Gallery
2960 W. M-134
P.O. Box 83
Hessel, MI 49745-0083

906-484-3949
c. 906-322-2886
upnorthstudio@hughes.net
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hello John,

You might want to check out this site and see if it contains, either what you are specifically looking for, or something else of new interest. It is for photoshop version 5.0 and up.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshoptutorials/
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

John,
I would suggest just using Photoshop to colorize images and use Illustrator or Corel to create the outlines you later fill.

You can import or open an Illustrator file into Photoshop or use the clipboard to paste outlines or shapes into Photoshop.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

The last time I was there Barnes and Noble had TWO DOZEN (I counted "em) Photoshop books.

And if you do web search for "Photoshop tutorials" you will find many good sites.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Also,
For $25 per month, you can subsribe to Lynda.com and view something like 900 photoshop lessons in Quick Time format. They have a few free sample tutorials to check out on their site, too. The $25 per month fee also lets you watch and study ANY tutorial on ANY program they support. That includes Illustrator, Photoshop, Corel Draw, Quark, Freehand, Dreamweaver, Go Live, Image Ready, and so on. As I wrote in my SC article, I think a $25 month of Lynda.com may be the single best value on the web.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi John....I just finished taking the Butler workshop in Chicago and aside from being a blast the learning curve was huge. I wouldn't pretend to answer( or try for that matter) your immediate questions but only add that for a guy (me) that has almost no computer experience, these things are becoming clear! Photoshop is huge and each day I do a few exercises with something I'm working at and try to iron out the problems you seem to want to tackle now.
Raymond Chapman

Lynda.com

Post by Raymond Chapman »

After hearing Mr. Jackson talk so much about Lynda.com, I joined up today. For only $25 a month I can have tutorials on just about every piece of design software that exists.

And I can pick and choose when I want to study. Now, all I have to do is find the time. But it is always there anytime I need some answers.

Thanks, Mike. As usual, you always give good advice.