Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

The History of the Airbrush...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Larry White

The History of the Airbrush...

Post by Larry White »

I recalled a conversation with Rick Glawson in which he described how, on period signage, shaded [blended] panels were created by spraying [airbrushing] a transparent black shade, created from varnish and black fibroseal, in a fade configuration, then backed up with a single color. This technique was thought to be much quicker in application than blending colors. Probably in a production mode, one person would spray all the tones to be followed up by another blocking in the color.

This technique is evident on many R&E pieces. I am going to use this technique on the La Belle sign.

This got me to thinking about the origin of the airbrush/spray paint. In looking up the subject on the internet , I found an absolutely fabulous and interesting site on the complete history of the airbrush! Check it out, it is remarkable!

http://www.andypenaluna.com/history/hisintro.html
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Mike Duncan

Post by Mike Duncan »

Thanks Larry!
Thats an awesome site!
Mike Duncan
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

books

Post by Mike Jackson »

Larry,
ST published a book called "A Treatise on Airbrushing" (I have it filed away in a box somewhere since it is not one of my favorite books). It had very generic information overall.

This is a very primitive "airbrush" that was powered by the artist blowing through what resembles a bent over straw. My art teacher had one from High School but I never tried it out. I'm not sure it would work with heavy paint.

The blow pipe was hinged in the middle. One end went into the paint (probably a small can or bottle) and they would blow through the straw. The air pressure at the tip would draw paint up the tube and spray it on the piece. It doesn't sound too efficient to me and you might get a headache from blowing so hard and also the fumes from the paint right under the nose. I was surprised the guy at the airbrush site didn't at least show one.

This scan came from Lawrence Blair's "Principles and Practice of Show-Card Writing" 1937. I've seen it in earlier books, but I don't know what year they were invented.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Ron Percell
Site Admin

Post by Ron Percell »

Hey Larry, Thanks for the link to the site!, some very interesting photographs on the history of modern air-brush maufacturing.

I although beleive the history of airbrushing goes back much further, say 3-5000 years, which is apparent in the underwater caves in France, in which early man was using reeds and straw to blow pigment through.
alan johnson

Post by alan johnson »

I was under the impression that one of the Stanley Bros. of Stanley steamer fame was the or one of the first to invent the airbrush. AJ
"Maintain"