Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

New way to chip glass ?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

New way to chip glass ?

Post by Roderick Treece »

I found this information on another forum. I have never heard of doing it this way.Anybody heard of it before ?

"Tip - In a humid environment, as here in MD, allow the glue to dry to a gel-like consistency, i.e. no longer flowing. Place the piece in a heavy trash bag and throw in several handfuls of my favorite Silica Gel capsules. None should be on the artwork itself. Seal it tightly, and within a short time, you should hear the "pop, pop, it's working" sound. Applying the hide glue thinly too helps the process, as too much glue takes forever to dry, even in the desert. DON'T be tempted to peek inside the bag until the popping has stopped, as glass can fly several feet while chipping. If you buy the recyclable capsules, they can be reheated slightly and reused. I would buy a 5 lb. jar."

Roderick
vance galliher

Re: New way to chip glass ?

Post by vance galliher »

............I used this method before I built my hot box (like Rick's) with good results
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

What kind of time frame from in the bag to finished are we talking about ? I am wondering because right now I run an 220 electric heater in my box for maybe 7 10 hours to complete a chipping project. If this helps it may save some money.

Roderick
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Rod,
I've seen this before. It's more geared toward hobbyists. It's a "kitchen table" process.
But to be real about this and to get the most drying power gels are designed for, if you want to use silica gels, create a large round motorized screen turn table under the glass to be chipped.
Fill the screen with the gel. Position the turn table so that half of it rotates within the chipping enclosure, and the other half within an oven enclosure heated to around 350 degrees.
As the silica rotates through the moist chipping room absorbing the water molecules, it continues into the oven, drying out the water and returning the freshly dried silica gel again into the moisture. Constantly rotating, drying and repeating the cycle.
Silica gel and hide glue are VERY similar in how the absorb and give up moisture. With gel, its just like sponging up water with a sponge, wringing it out and going back for more.
You are better off just using a heater. If electric energy costs are bugging you, do it the way Rawson and Evans did and use a gas fired
hot plate or plates.
Just think how much gel would be needed for multiple panels at one time. Plus the energy neede to redry all the gel, or buying fresh gel.
Silica Gel is Not a good method for drying glue in my opinion unless you are drying fruits and can't heat the enclosure.
Pat