Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glass Sign artists throughout history

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robare M. Novou

Re: Glass Sign artists throughout history

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Yeah, that Studdens sumthin alright....a real claim jumper, if ins ya know what I means.

But its Erik Im worried about, He was wearing his Sunday Best, when ole John Boy pushed him down and outta line.
Right down into the mud he went, got his back stepped on too!
Poor Erik.jpg
Poor Erik.jpg (76.59 KiB) Viewed 9094 times
that said, it's better to be knocked down than knocked up.
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

My God......look what happens if you're gone for a few days. I saw my name there and am afraid when the truth comes out I couldn't stand in the same room with those names. Was absolutely blown away by the Strong piece I saw. Is that for sure by Charles Strong? Had seen close-ups of that some time ago and had no idea who the Creative Genius was that executed that !!!!
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Well Doug, the truth is you haven't arrived...not until you post a photo of yourself and your employees (if you have any), standing in front of your shop, palette in one hand, mahl stick (crutch) in the other. And don't forget to park your hand cart in front so that not only do folks know you makes 'em by hand...but that you deliver them by foot.
William Heyny Jr. and staff.jpg
William Heyny Jr. and staff.jpg (223.88 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
Heyny's shop was established in 1874, in New York City
That must be the apprentice in the middle..wonder if its the little guy seen in the previous Heyny Sign Shop photo.

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Erik,
Look at one of the first names I mension on my first list. It is this article that I am basing my information about who might be the very first gold leaf sign artist in the US on.

Robare,
Any dates on that last photo you posted ?

Roderick
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

HEY! That guy in the middle IS Bernhardt! I'll be danged!
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Does look a little like Percy..............

"If you're gonna bid, ....bid don't talk!"...........Who said that?
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Well will post it again and again and again :twisted:

Robare it was not me you saw pushed down.
If you look at the picture he lost his glasses. I do not wear glasses, I am young and do not need them.
Besides I am not down there I am only going up.
Climbing to the top of the world.jpg
Climbing to the top of the world.jpg (57.32 KiB) Viewed 8961 times
John, the bidding was over before Robare posted the link.
But there are a lot of other cheap sales on the internet if you look around.
In five days I will receive my copy.

Seasonal greetings everbody from freezing Amsterdam
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Just to clarify the history of the Letterheads. Who were the founding members ? Of those members who would be considered glass sign artists.

Thanks
Roderick
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Bob Mitchell, Mark Oatis, John Frazier, Mike Rielley, Noel Weber, Earl Vehill and Rick Flores

Here's some additional information Rod:
Roughly 25 years ago, a magical moment in sign history, a group of extremely talented Denver craftsmen found each other and began having loosely structured meetings-get togethers more like it. They may have gathered just to have a good time and swap stories but eventually began intensive information and technique swapping. The old sign painting books such as Strong's Book of Designs became a cornerstone of their learning. As their talents and craftsmanship sharpened, they began entering the Signs of the Times annual design competition and generally swept every category. At the bottom of every entry, they wrote "member Letterheads". After the Letterheads were featured in a later Signs of the Times magazine, the rest of the sign industry learned of the Letterheads, with much envy.

In 1982, Noel Weber hosted the "Boise Bar-B-Q" in which he invited additional craftspeople from around the country. In October of the same year, Mike Jackson hosted the "Oklahoma Bash" in Moore, Oklahoma and roughly 135 sign makers showed up for an intensive weekend. Both Signs of the Times and SignCraft magazines sent their editors. As the next issues hit the streets, their articles and photos enlightened the entire industry. The movement was in full force with large meetings in Kansas City in 1983 and Memphis the following year. The rest of the growth is history. Literally hundreds of meetings have just "happened". The Denver group hosted the 10Th and most recently 20th anniversary meetings. While there is usually one National meeting a year, there are often four or five regional or area meetings a month scattered all over the country.

Amazingly, the Letterheads thrive, grow, and evolve without a true governing body. That's right-no president, treasurer, or even board of directors. The basic rule of thumb has been "if you want or have a Letterheads meeting-have one". That person or group decides the format, location, fees charged if any and all other variables.

At the center of the all the hoopla is the willingness to learn, share, and explore. Prior to the Letterheads, many craftsmen closely guarded their hard earned knowledge. Once, caught up in the movement, it becomes difficult not to want to share your knowledge, especially when even more experienced people are sharing theirs. While the earliest meetings in Denver emphasized the noble craft of sign painting, gilding, and designing, later meetings have acknowledged and accepted the introduction of the computer age. Even today, the blending of the old craft and state of the art technologies collect a crowd. Often, meetings have a theme, and attendees are encouraged to make a project showing off some of the person's talents or techniques.

If you ever attend a meeting, be prepared. Sleep a lot before you go because you won't want to when you get there. Some meetings have had all night episodes. Take your camera and plenty of film, flash, polarizing filter, and maybe some more film. Bring a portfolio and a notebook. Walking in the door, be prepared to feel intimidated-but that will soon pass as you get caught in the excitement. Ask the host if you can help out and they will certainly let you! Your first Letterheads meeting will probably change your life.

Mike Jackson, Jackson Hole, WY
Here's a timeline of some of the meets, along with associated names:

http://www.theletterheads.com/lhparts/timeline.html

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Here's another name to add to the list:

George W. Bayless

He was the head designer at Rawson and Evans.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
oatis

Post by oatis »

I was remiss (OK, in lots of trouble) for neglecting to suggest the inclusion of Rose Oatis--AKA The Queen of Damars ,for her outrageous contributions to the Invention and Splendid Execution of fancy gilt centers, during the last 15 years of the last century. Omission corrected. Photos to follow.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

While researching the Hastings Gold Leaf Company on the web I found an interesting article.
Lots of incrowd-names there. Maybe interesting for someone, like Robare....
It was for me.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-fr ... 946996D6CF
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

If you're collecting books and histories look for Chicago Ceramics and Glass by Sharon Darling published in 1979 by the Chicago Historical Society. Includes dates and history for Western Sand Blast Mfg, Rawson and Evans, Seuss Ornamental Glass and others. Mostly about terra cotta and stained glass but those companies did all sorts of wonderful decorative work - including signs. Last time I saw this book for sale, they were asking hundreds for it.
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Here is an other one for John the bookgrabber: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... D0%26y%3D0
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Erik is right. This is a book every glass sign artist should have .I have a 1905 edition which is full of techniques for acid embossing, grab it while you can.
Dave
Pete McKearnan

Post by Pete McKearnan »

There was? is a company in Chicago, H M Witt that did lots of glass gilded signage. Most of what I saw was on site. Lots of Convex lettering. I don't know who any of the gilders were but I admired their work when I lived there 30 years ago. I think most of it is long gone now. Robert Freise might know more about them.
"Knuckles" Pete McKearnan, Portland Oregon
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Ya Know guys....there is a new link above which has the good fortune to be a "Sticky" thing which is dedicated to to works of art at the level of Masterpieces. I hope you'll step forward with the great photos (I have more than a couple myself) and post them with a minimum of chatter and a maximum of facts for the benefit of a future generation. Also am hoping that we stay true to the ideals that they are "Real Jobs" not project panels or salutations to amigos. You all know.......the very best work of great artisans we likley have never met and yet the work is/was still there when you had your camera.